As you well know, this Sunday is Father’s day. As a result of the crisis of single mothers in our community many of us spend this time of the year questioning where are all the fathers.
Well, whether you call him father, daddy, pops, old man, or just dad, I want to celebrate the men who day in and day out embrace the gift of being a father.
You know the "I gotta put in 80 hours a week, but I won't miss a recital, concert, game or event"" dads.
And the "I’ll take my kids to church even when mom can’t so they can see what a man praising God looks like" dads.
Or the "I never was shown affection by my father, but know how to discipline and love my sons" kind of dads.
Or the "none of these kids come from my seed, but I will step up and be the father they don’t have" dads.
And especially, the "I pay child support, but still can’t see my kids, but won't stop fighting to be the father G"od called me to be" dads.
There are so many great fathers out there that seldom get the shine because we are so busy talking about the ones that are not there. Perhaps if we operated the other way, brothers who are MIA could see what real fathers look like even if they never had one.
So as I get out of here, just a few shout outs:
Sherod Thurman says about her dad Kenneth Wilson: He's shown me so much over the past 16 years, including how to really treat a woman and how to be independent. While he may not be my biological "daddy", he has definitely been a father to me.
Taffani Holmes said that her father, Rufus Holmes, was never too busy for us and even though he never finished high school, always had wisdom to share.
Ms. Molly (via Twitter) said Charles M. Ward, her father "was a single parent since I was 2. He is always there when I need him to give me advice."
Mommy Making Moves (via Twitter): my husband Randy Hemphill is amazing with our son and my little sister.
And I want to send a huge Father’s Day shout out to my dad, Johnnie Johnson. I don’t remember a day that I didn’t sense your presence. I have felt your love for me everyday of my life. I don’t remember a day that you have not challenged me to be better.
Watching you work showed me how to, and your emotional availability with me and my brother showed me how to love my babies. Watching you fight through legal blindness and 4th stage cancer like a soldier has shown me how to live in the face of life. I am proud to be your son.
Family, if there is a man anywhere in your life who loves, supports, shows up and out of his children, use the entire week to let him know how much he means to you. And when someone tells you there are not enough real dads, tell them that they are not looking hard enough. Real fathers, stand up and take a bow. This is your week. Happy Father's Day.
As always, I'm Jeff and that's my truth.
Please join me this week on THE INTERSECTION as we celebrate dads. www.blis.fm/theintersection. We want you to call in and tell us about your father.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31