In Hollywood, they’ll try anything twice. In this case, the TV show “Dallas” is coming back 21 years after its triumphant first run. The original "Dallas" ran for 13 years, and inspired one of the most famous cliffhangers in TV history with it’s “Who Shot J.R.?” storyline. Then, as in now, Larry Hagman plays family matriarch J.R. Ewing, head of the oil-rich clan based in Dallas. The original show was based around the shenanigans of the Ewing clan, especially brothers J.R. and Bobby. The new version is based around J.R. and Bobby’s grown sons, John Ross and Christopher Ewing.
The 10-episode season will air on TNT starting at 9 p.m. starting tonight. Linda Gray, who played J.R.’s wife in the original series and Patrick Duffy who played Bobby are both returning and will be joined by Jesse Metcalfe (“Desperate Housewives” and “Passions”) and Josh Henderson (“Popstars and Desperate Housewives”). Jordana Brewster, best known for “The Fast and the Furious” franchise joins the new cast as well.
But it’s certain that this reboot will focus at least somewhat on J.R., one of television’s most popular villains. Even though he spends much of the first episode seemingly catatonic, Larry Hagman, now 80, says you can expect him to be just as dastardly as the J.R. of old.
"I think you will find he is just as big a cad now as he was then,” Hagman told Reuters. “That was just a hook to get me back in and to explain what I've been doing for the past 20 years. I've been in this place, kind of sequestered. Assisted living, I believe they call it. In the old days, they would call it bedlam. Depression – that is how they described it. Anyhow, it gets us going.”
So far, reviews have been positive, but it’s the “Dallas” fans – still strong worldwide even after the show’s first end, that will have the final say. Gray, reprising her role as J.R.’s equally scheming wife, Sue Ellen, says that so far, everyone, both old and new, is enjoying the show’s remixed version.
“The rest of the shows you have not seen, it just keeps escalating to the point to where even the actors are surprised," Gray said. "We talk among ourselves and ask 'Did you see this coming?' and the answer is always no. So everyone is in for surprises."
Check out a preview of “Dallas” here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25