Two football players who had dreamed of being part of Auburn University’s winning tradition were slain Saturday night along with an Auburn resident in a shooting that has stunned a college town usually sleepy in the summer.
Police and U.S. Marshals continue to search for the 22-year-old Desmonte Leonard suspected of killing three people and wounding three others after a party turned chaotic at the University Heights apartments.
The dead are : Ed Christian, a 20-year-old journalism major from Valdosta, Ga., who was last listed as a redshirt freshman offensive lineman, weighing in at 321 pounds; Ladarious Phillips, a 20-year-old sophomore fullback out of Roanoke, Alabama, who played multiple positions in high school, finishing with 2,982 yards rushing. He was majoring in exercise science.; Auburn/Opelika resident DeMario Pitts, who is not believed to have had ties to Auburn University.
Eric Mack, a promising Auburn offensive lineman at the college located about an hour from Montgomery, Alabama, was wounded in the shooting and is expected to recover. Another man, John Robertson, was shot in the head and taken to UAB Hospital in Birmingham for surgery. A third wounded man was treated and released at a local hospital, authorities said.
Police have released few details regarding the motive for the shooting. But Auburn Police Chief Tommy Dawson said football had nothing to do with the incident. .
“Them being football players has nothing to do with this,” Dawson said in a Sunday press conference. “They were at a party and they were shot.”
A fight began during a party in the clubhouse of the apartment complex, after Leonard saw another guy dancing with a woman he had been spending time with.
“They started fussing over a girl, and the fussing escalated to a fight, and the fight escalated to a shooting,” said 21-year-old Richard Trammell, told The New York Times.
News of the shooting has sparked response on social media from friends, students and state leaders.
Oliver Robinson, an Alabama legislator who is a former college and NBA player, said incidents such as the Auburn shooting can happen anywhere to anyone.
“We are creating a culture of hatred and not caring for life,” Robinson wrote on Facebook. “ We have a segment of our population who doesn't mind life in prison or the death penalty! We in the black community must change our culture or these situations are going to multiply.”
Auburn University won the football collegiate National Championship two years ago. Many of the players this year summer are on campus to work on conditioning prior to the start of regular practice for the upcoming season.
The players were called together for a meeting Sunday afternoon.
"This is a sad, sad day for everyone associated with the entire Auburn family," Auburn head football coach Gene Chizik said in a prepared statement. "I am devastated by the passing of three young men, including two that I personally knew in Ed Christian and LaDarious Phillips and my heart goes out to their families. My thoughts and prayers are with their families and all of the victims involved in this tragic incident. Nobody should ever have to endure such unimaginable grief, and we will love and support the victims' families during this terribly difficult time. We have a lot of people on our football team that are hurting right now and we're going to do everything we can to help them get through this.”
A $15,000 reward is being offered in the case and authorities are encouraging Leonard to turn himself in.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30