Click here to see Teena Marie's In Studio Jam.
Before her untimely death at the age of 54 two years ago, Teena Marie was hailed as a legend. The petite white woman made her own way in the world of black music, established blue-eyed soul as her own personal genre. Marie was a California girl who early on developed a reverence for black music as part of a multitude of influences as she detailed on her hit “Square Biz.”
“Well, I like spirituals and rock, Sarah Vaughan, Johann Sebastian Bach/Shakespeare, Maya Angelou and Nikki Giovanni just to name a few,” she said.
The one called “Vanilla Child” was born and raised in Southern California where she spent her childhood immersed in music and literature. Her musical skills brought her to Motown, where she remained creatively unfulfilled until meeting Rick James, with whom she would have both a personal and professional relationship. The professional relationship would lead to collaborations that ushered Marie into the R&B ranks where she began a relationship with black audiences that remained throughout her career.
Marie would record a mainstream hit “Lovergirl” but was best known for her sultry ballads, “Portuguese Love,” “Out On a Limb,” “Irons in the Fire,” and perhaps her best known single “Fire and Desire,” a duet with James.
Over her career, Marie released 13 different albums for five different labels, going platinum with 1984’s “Starchild,” and gold with several others. Marie was known for her impassioned vocals and for her evocative songwriting, especially as it related to her songs about love.
Teena Marie’s legacy lives on through the singers she’s influenced as well as her own body of work. She was part of black music history as one of the few white artists whose music was wholly accepted by Black audiences. Marie was part of the contemporary Motown sound which felt like coming home to her as she had been influenced by the Supremes. In fact, she says it was Diana Ross who most intimidated her when they met.
Marie’s vocal prowess, lyricism and musicianship lives on. Her daughter Alia Rose is also as singer/songwriter who may yet carry on her mother’s musical lineage. This Black Music Month we salute the music and memory of Teena Marie.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30