You go for the job interview. You’ve carefully prepared to answer even the toughest questions. Explanation for that gap in employment three years ago. Check. An example of your leadership skills in action. Check. Your greatest weakness. Check. There is always the moment in the interview when the interviewer asks if you have any questions. Do you know what to ask?
Many prospective employees draw a blank, and miss the opportunity to ask intriguing questions that engage your prospective new boss and help you land that new job. It’s your opportunity to stand out from the crowd. It could either boost your chances of landing the job – or at least advancing to the next round of interviews – or eliminate you from the running. And there is one thing you should never say: Never, ever answer the question, “Do you have any questions?” with the answer “no.”
You want to accomplish two things with the questions you ask: 1) Demonstrate your interest in this specific company and the specific position you are interviewing for. And 2) Gather clues about whether the job is a good fit and what strengths to play up and what weaknesses you’ll need to overcome in order to land the position. That way, you’ll know what information or examples to follow up with to better showcase yourself. Be curious. Ask good questions that help you get a better understanding of the job and the company.
A demonstration of passion and interest can go a long way in showing you are the right candidate for the job. The types of questions you ask will help make that point. As a rule of thumb, ask open-ended questions and show that you’ve done your homework on the company. Here are a six to get you started:
Six Great Questions to Ask During a Job Interview
1. I noticed on the company website that [interesting tidbit you researched on the company site]…. How does that change/initiative impact this position and/or department?
2. How would you describe the ideal person for this position? (And what does success for this position look like?)
3. Why is this position open at this time?
4. What concerns do you have about my ability to succeed in the position?
5. What do you like most about the company culture here and what would you change if you could?
6. What are the next steps in your interview and hiring process?
Valorie Burton is the author of eight books, including Successful Women Think Differently and What’s Really Holding You Back? She is founder of the Coaching and Positive Psychology (CaPP) Institute – a coaching training and personal development company that helps individuals thrive in life and work. Subscribe to free her weekly e-newsletter at Valorie.Burton.com.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30