Click here to hear Regina Belle's In Studio Jam.
Regina Belle may be known best by the mainstream audience for her duet with Peabo Bryson on “A Whole New World” from the “Aladdin” soundtrack, and best known by R&B audiences for sultry songs like “Baby Come To Me,” but in her Atlanta church, she’s known best as the First Lady of New Shield of Faith Ministries. Belle is married to former NBA player John Battle, who is now a pastor.
Churchgoers can certainly appreciate the vocalist in their midst, as Belle is now firmly entrenched in the gospel music world. Her latest release “Higher” features the single “Make an Example Out of Me,” based in part on the challenges of two surgeries that had her out of circulation for almost a year. Here’s more on our latest In Studio Jam artist.
BORN: Englewood, New Jersey
BIG BREAK: Belle’s vocal talents were discovered in church and by age 8, she was singing solos.
EDUCATION: Belle studied opera at the Manhattan School of music and went on to Rutgers University in her native New Jersey.
BACK STORY: Belle has released albums in the R&B, jazz and gospel genres. She sang with Peabo Bryson on the pop hit “A Whole New World” from “Aladdin.”
RESUME: Although she’s spent the last several years of her career primarily in the gospel vein, Belle is best known for her R&B hits “Baby Come to Me,” “Make It Like It Was” and for the #1 duet “A Whole New World.”
FUN FACTS: Belle won both a Grammy and an Oscar with Peabo Bryson for the song “A Whole New World.”
LATEST WORK: “Higher,” out now.
ON FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/regina.belle
ON TWITTER: twitter.com/#!/reginabelle
ON MYSPACE: www.myspace.com/msreginabelle
BEST OF REGINA BELLE (Video):
“Make an Example Out of Me”
“Baby Come to Me”
“Make It Like It Was”
“God Is Good”
“If I Could”
“The Bible says go into the hedges and the highways, and so I'm permitted by permission of our Father, to go back to some of the places that I've been previously,” Belle says about still singing her secular hits.
“I pray that each listener has an experience. My whole objective in doing this record is to bring people into the presence of God. Some of us don’t always get there through the preached word. The music is only second to that, but I want to be able to know that I did my job and if you don’t have words to say, then use my words. If you don’t have a voice, then use my voice. If you don’t have the music or the setting, use mine. I believe that my music helps people get to a special place.” Official Bio (2012)
"My grandmother is almost a hundred years old, she's 98. My mother and father are still living and they are getting ready to celebrate 60 years in marriage. I come from a long line of marriages in my family. So the things that I sing about–love, people staying together– I talk about all these different things that hold families together. I think because of that it's easier for people to "swallow" what I'm doing, as opposed to maybe some other folks (not to be judgmental), but like R. Kelly. That might be difficult for them. God can do all things. Just like he changed Paul who was a killer of Christians, he can work on R. Kelly.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31