WASHINGTON (AP) — Alarmed by the recent hazing death of a Florida A&M University band student, a coalition of black fraternities and sororities joined with civil rights leader Al Sharpton and others in pledging to work harder to end the practice.
Leaders of the coalition told reporters on Thursday that the type of hazing to which Florida A&M drum major Robert Champion Jr. was subjected before he died has persisted as a rite of passage despite the various actions their individual groups previously have taken to address the problem.
"We no longer can treat it as a series of isolated and unrelated sets of unfortunate incidences," said Jimmy Hammock, president of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., which heads up the coalition.
"It's almost as if someone has tattooed in their brain this is the way to be accepted," said Rep. Frederica Wilson, D-Fla., who said her anti-hazing efforts earned her the nickname "Haze Buster" when she served as a regional director of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., of which she also is a member.
The coalition has invested an initial $25,000 to launch a national campaign that will include radio ads on ESPN, print advertising, an Aug. 11 town hall on hazing at the Marriott Executive Center in Charlotte, N.C., and a National Anti-Hazing Day on Sept. 6.
Champion, 26, died in November after collapsing aboard a bus with other band members after a football game. An autopsy showed he died of internal injuries from a beating that authorities say was a result of hazing.
Eleven band members have been charged with felony hazing and two are charged with misdemeanors. Florida A&M's band has been suspended indefinitely, and Florida university system officials are still looking into whether school officials ignored past warnings about hazing.
Under a bill Wilson is drafting, students would permanently lose eligibility for financial aid if they are convicted of hazing under state law, or are officially sanctioned by a college or university for hazing. The bill also would require states to enact felony criminal hazing statutes or lose transportation funding.
Ricky L. Jones, political science professor at the University of Louisville and author of a book on hazing in black fraternities, said the campaign may be the first to address hazing in black groups on a national level and is needed because there has not been enough outrage among blacks over deaths and injuries related to hazing. He said he is skeptical whether the campaign will yield results, given that hazing is deeply seeded in the culture.
"I'm worried about preservation of lives of students," he said. Eliminating organizations where hazing occurs gets rid of a threat to students' lives, he said.
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority president Cynthia Butler-McIntyre, chair of the National Pan Hellenic Council, an umbrella group of black Greek organizations, said in a letter that more far-reaching efforts are warranted because hazing is "so deeply ingrained into the culture" of college life.
"Despite all of our efforts, we have not reached a zero level of hazing, to our great dismay," Butler-McIntyre's letter said.
The coalition's campaign clearly hits themes intended to resonate with young black people. Print advertisements will feature black-and-white photos of athletes from years past, standing with trophies, in line or in a locker room with blood that appears to have been spattered on the lens of the camera when the photos were shot.
"Let's Not Beat the Life Out of a Beautiful Legacy," say the ads, some which include black student athletes.
"Since we were enslaved we fought for a right to read and write and educate. We didn't come to the 21st century with an African-American president and now decide that we are going to inflict pain rather than exult ourselves with educational excellence," Sharpton, a member of Phi Beta Sigma, said in a videotaped statement.
"If we can get black folks to stand up and say enough is enough, if we can lead black folks to doing it, then that's what we want to do," said Daryl Anderson, Phi Beta Sigma's executive director.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30