Clearly, I’m in the wrong business. What I should be doing is writing a relationship book, because all the criteria that you need for that these days is having been in a relationship at any point in your life.
In the case of singer/songwriter Musiq’s new book “143: Love According to Musiq” maybe an added asset is that you’ve written a few love songs. You’d think that R&B singers should be the most sensitive and understanding of men giving the beautiful songs they write, but any familiarity with the romantic history of most R&B singers would help you see that’s not the case.
Someone must have thought “Hey, let’s get Musiq to do a book” given that he’s best known for ballads like “Love,” “Don’t Change,” “143” and other romantic hits. “143,” by the way, stands for the letters that correspond to those numbers on a telephone keypad and is an abbreviation for “I love you.” (If you’re a Musiq fan, you’d know that.)
The book is divided into the sections that you would expect – Love, Money, Sex, Kids and a few you don’t – Redemption, Insecurities and “The Type.”
The book covers the all-important aspect of self-love as part of the way to enjoy a successful relationship and that might be the most important piece of information in it. The rest is a mostly predictable hodgepodge of relationship advice you’ve heard before.
These kinds of books are almost always geared toward women – who make up most of Musiq’s most faithful audience. The reason why relationship books are geared toward women is because a man would never buy one. Books like “143” make it seem that it’s always the woman who has to make the adjustments and changes needed in a relationship and are almost always written by men as “insight” into the male mind.
What they don’t ever take into account is that a relationship is not just one-sided. Musiq attempts to make the book inclusive, adding some tips for men as well. But it still focuses mainly on women and what they can do to “get” and “keep” a man.
As a writer, Musiq is just OK – he modernizes his advice by sharing examples via fictional text messages. For a very young audience, there may be some benefit to the book, but anyone who’s grown and been through their share of relationships likely won’t need it.
There’s very little in it that hasn’t already been said and a good portion of it is pure common sense. If you’re wondering why all of these basically unqualified relationship “counselors” are writing these books, it’s because of the money they stand to gain from catering to lonely women. If you’re really looking for a relationship, you’d be better off cooking up a good meal for someone you like and using some of Musiq’s songs as your dinner soundtrack. Just sayin.’
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25