Clearly, I’m in the wrong business. What I should be doing is writing a relationship book, because all the criteria that you need for that these days is having been in a relationship at any point in your life.
In the case of singer/songwriter Musiq’s new book “143: Love According to Musiq” maybe an added asset is that you’ve written a few love songs. You’d think that R&B singers should be the most sensitive and understanding of men giving the beautiful songs they write, but any familiarity with the romantic history of most R&B singers would help you see that’s not the case.
Someone must have thought “Hey, let’s get Musiq to do a book” given that he’s best known for ballads like “Love,” “Don’t Change,” “143” and other romantic hits. “143,” by the way, stands for the letters that correspond to those numbers on a telephone keypad and is an abbreviation for “I love you.” (If you’re a Musiq fan, you’d know that.)
The book is divided into the sections that you would expect – Love, Money, Sex, Kids and a few you don’t – Redemption, Insecurities and “The Type.”
The book covers the all-important aspect of self-love as part of the way to enjoy a successful relationship and that might be the most important piece of information in it. The rest is a mostly predictable hodgepodge of relationship advice you’ve heard before.
These kinds of books are almost always geared toward women – who make up most of Musiq’s most faithful audience. The reason why relationship books are geared toward women is because a man would never buy one. Books like “143” make it seem that it’s always the woman who has to make the adjustments and changes needed in a relationship and are almost always written by men as “insight” into the male mind.
What they don’t ever take into account is that a relationship is not just one-sided. Musiq attempts to make the book inclusive, adding some tips for men as well. But it still focuses mainly on women and what they can do to “get” and “keep” a man.
As a writer, Musiq is just OK – he modernizes his advice by sharing examples via fictional text messages. For a very young audience, there may be some benefit to the book, but anyone who’s grown and been through their share of relationships likely won’t need it.
There’s very little in it that hasn’t already been said and a good portion of it is pure common sense. If you’re wondering why all of these basically unqualified relationship “counselors” are writing these books, it’s because of the money they stand to gain from catering to lonely women. If you’re really looking for a relationship, you’d be better off cooking up a good meal for someone you like and using some of Musiq’s songs as your dinner soundtrack. Just sayin.’
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30