Identity Theft – What to Do if Your Identity is Stolen

Comments: Comments Are Disabled  | Leave A Comment

Law Enforcement: Report identity theft to your local police department. If the crime occurred somewhere other than where you live, you may wish to report it to law enforcement there as well. The police will create an "identity theft report" and you can request a copy.

Federal Trade Commission (FTC): The FTC does not investigate identity theft cases, but they can share information that you give them, such as the identity theft report number, with investigators nationwide. For more information about fighting back against identity theft, visit the FTC's Identity Theft website.

The Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Hotline is 877-IDTHEFT (877-438-4338).

Credit Bureau Contact Information Equifax

Order Credit Report: 1.800.685.1111

Fraud Hotline: 1.888.766.0008


Report Order: 1.888.397.3742

Fraud Hotline: 1.888.397.3742

Trans Union

Report Order: 1.877.322.8228

Fraud Hotline: 1.800.680.7289

This article is intended to provide general information and should not be considered legal, tax or financial advice. It's always a good idea to consult a tax or financial advisor for specific information on how certain laws apply to your situation and about your individual financial situation.  Visit for more helpful tips and tools on managing your finances.

*The Visa Zero Liability policy covers U.S.–issued cards only and does not apply to ATM transactions, PIN transactions not processed by Visa, or certain commercial card transactions. Cardholder must notify issuer promptly of any unauthorized use. Consult issuer for more details.

« Previous page 1 2

Tags: »


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,666 other followers