He was praised the way he played.
Chuck Brown, the Godfather of Go-Go, was known for concerts that went on anywhere from 2-4 hours or, as one of his songs said, “until the cops come knockin’,” and his viewing Tuesday ran all day from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. at the recently reopened Howard Theatre.
Before the doors of the theater opened, the lines were already around the corner, made all the more poignant by this week’s sizzling heat with temperatures into the 90s and heat advisories issued for the city. Some people, tweeting from the line, asked readers to bring water to the mourners.
A memorial service will be held for Brown, who died on May 16 at age 75 after a battle with pneumonia, at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center on Thursday from noon to 3 p.m. Flags on all city government buildings will fly at half-staff from sunup to sundown on Thursday.
D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray and Brown's family announced together that in lieu of flowers, the family asked that donations be made to the Chuck Brown Foundation. According to its website, the foundation, which is in the process of applying for nonprofit status, was intended to support education, help the homeless and the formerly incarcerated get back on track.
Crowds also lined the route as the procession bearing Brown’s gold and copper-colored casket neared the theater at 7th Street and Chuck Brown Way NW.
Inside, standing next to Brown’s open casket, Gray called Brown “one of the greatest assets the city has ever had.”
“He loved everybody,” Brown’s stepdaughter, KK Brown, told The Washington Post as she stood outside greeting the fans. She said that Brown “would be crying” to see the throngs that have turned out to pay their respects.
An average of 20 people per minute passed through the theater by midday, as a mix of Brown’s jazz ballads played, according to a headcount by The Post. Vendors did a brisk business outside the theater, selling t-shirts and calendars bearing Brown’s image and they expect to do the same at the memorial service on Thursday.
As D.C. Council member Marion Barry walked out of the theater, a television cameraman asked the former mayor, “How’d the body look?”
“Man, fabulous,” Barry said. “Chuck was as big in death as he was in life.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31