He was praised the way he played.
Chuck Brown, the Godfather of Go-Go, was known for concerts that went on anywhere from 2-4 hours or, as one of his songs said, “until the cops come knockin’,” and his viewing Tuesday ran all day from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. at the recently reopened Howard Theatre.
Before the doors of the theater opened, the lines were already around the corner, made all the more poignant by this week’s sizzling heat with temperatures into the 90s and heat advisories issued for the city. Some people, tweeting from the line, asked readers to bring water to the mourners.
A memorial service will be held for Brown, who died on May 16 at age 75 after a battle with pneumonia, at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center on Thursday from noon to 3 p.m. Flags on all city government buildings will fly at half-staff from sunup to sundown on Thursday.
D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray and Brown's family announced together that in lieu of flowers, the family asked that donations be made to the Chuck Brown Foundation. According to its website, the foundation, which is in the process of applying for nonprofit status, was intended to support education, help the homeless and the formerly incarcerated get back on track.
Crowds also lined the route as the procession bearing Brown’s gold and copper-colored casket neared the theater at 7th Street and Chuck Brown Way NW.
Inside, standing next to Brown’s open casket, Gray called Brown “one of the greatest assets the city has ever had.”
“He loved everybody,” Brown’s stepdaughter, KK Brown, told The Washington Post as she stood outside greeting the fans. She said that Brown “would be crying” to see the throngs that have turned out to pay their respects.
An average of 20 people per minute passed through the theater by midday, as a mix of Brown’s jazz ballads played, according to a headcount by The Post. Vendors did a brisk business outside the theater, selling t-shirts and calendars bearing Brown’s image and they expect to do the same at the memorial service on Thursday.
As D.C. Council member Marion Barry walked out of the theater, a television cameraman asked the former mayor, “How’d the body look?”
“Man, fabulous,” Barry said. “Chuck was as big in death as he was in life.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25