He was praised the way he played.
Chuck Brown, the Godfather of Go-Go, was known for concerts that went on anywhere from 2-4 hours or, as one of his songs said, “until the cops come knockin’,” and his viewing Tuesday ran all day from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. at the recently reopened Howard Theatre.
Before the doors of the theater opened, the lines were already around the corner, made all the more poignant by this week’s sizzling heat with temperatures into the 90s and heat advisories issued for the city. Some people, tweeting from the line, asked readers to bring water to the mourners.
A memorial service will be held for Brown, who died on May 16 at age 75 after a battle with pneumonia, at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center on Thursday from noon to 3 p.m. Flags on all city government buildings will fly at half-staff from sunup to sundown on Thursday.
D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray and Brown's family announced together that in lieu of flowers, the family asked that donations be made to the Chuck Brown Foundation. According to its website, the foundation, which is in the process of applying for nonprofit status, was intended to support education, help the homeless and the formerly incarcerated get back on track.
Crowds also lined the route as the procession bearing Brown’s gold and copper-colored casket neared the theater at 7th Street and Chuck Brown Way NW.
Inside, standing next to Brown’s open casket, Gray called Brown “one of the greatest assets the city has ever had.”
“He loved everybody,” Brown’s stepdaughter, KK Brown, told The Washington Post as she stood outside greeting the fans. She said that Brown “would be crying” to see the throngs that have turned out to pay their respects.
An average of 20 people per minute passed through the theater by midday, as a mix of Brown’s jazz ballads played, according to a headcount by The Post. Vendors did a brisk business outside the theater, selling t-shirts and calendars bearing Brown’s image and they expect to do the same at the memorial service on Thursday.
As D.C. Council member Marion Barry walked out of the theater, a television cameraman asked the former mayor, “How’d the body look?”
“Man, fabulous,” Barry said. “Chuck was as big in death as he was in life.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30