Last week’s death of a 7-year-old Detroit boy who is believed to have hanged himself as he faced bullying at school and the separation of his parents should be a wakeup call to all families and communities, psychologists say.
The tragedy should also prompt African-Americans to dispel the myths about the need for counseling and mental health when a child is troubled, psychologists say.
“Our children need to know that they are loved. They need to know that they are important,” said George Fleming, a clinical psychologist in Detroit. “I am not trying to indict anyone here, but someone along the way failed this child,” Fleming told BlackAmericaweb.com.
“This child was feeling hopelessness and helplessness. He decided that death was better than life,” Fleming said. “He was a victim. That is not an indication that he had mental health issues.”
The child, who is said to have been teased at school because he was the only male in the home with eight females, was discovered by his 14-year-old sister last week, according to published reports.
He was hanging from a bunk bed with a belt around his neck. Once the family forced their way into the room, they called 911. Prior to his death, the boy’s mother is said to have left the home to talk with the pastor about the child, according to Detroit police.
Suicide among small children is rare according the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In the most recent year for which youth suicide rates are available, children between the ages of 5 and 14 accounted for less than 1 percent or 265 of the 36,951 suicide deaths nationwide in 2009.
While the bullying is said to have occurred at school, psychologists say teachers and administrators usually are the last ones to know if a child is being bullied.
“A child’s peers will know if he is being bullied, or maybe his desk mate will know, but teachers usually don’t know,” said Yvette Harris, co-author of The African American Child: Development and Challenges.
Children who are troubled by bullying and other pressures at school will show some signs,” Harris told BlackAmericaweb.com. “You may notice regressive behaviors. You may notice that the child is withdrawn,” she said.
When parents notice unusual behavior in their children, they should seek some outside help and support.
“It’s not an indictment of your parenting skills to seek resources to help your child,” she said.
Bullying is an increasing problem for children in African-American community, but there are not a lot of statistics that reflect the trend, she said. “Most of the statistics point to problems in white, suburban communities,” Harris said.
Detroit, Fleming said, poses even more problems for school children because of the impact on the city’s economics and the financial problems in schools.
The high crime, home foreclosures and high unemployment also take a toll on the children. Within the first three months of 2012, five children in Detroit were shot – many by stray bullets and some of them fatal.
In the schools, problems persist.
“So many services our children need are being cut,” Fleming said. “Schools have counselors, but if you are a school counselor with 300 or 400 students on your case load, what do you do? You triage them. You see the ones first that you believe to have the most severe need.”
Here are some of the warning signs anti-bullying groups and suicide prevention group encourage parents to watch for in their children:
-Displaying signs of depression such as ongoing sadness, withdrawal from others, losing interest in favorite activities, or trouble sleeping or eating.
-Talking about or showing an interest in death or dying.
-Engaging in dangerous or harmful activities, including reckless behavior, substance abuse or self-injury.
-Giving away favorite possessions and saying goodbye to people.
-Saying or expressing that they can't handle things anymore.
-Making comments that things would be better without them.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31