NEW YORK (AP) — A field guide for beaches, a road trip guide and a couple of books for city-dwellers looking to get outdoors with kids offer inspiration and information for planning adventures this season.
—National Geographic's "Field Guide to the Water's Edge" ($22) is a handy reference for anyone who's ever wondered about shorebirds, seashells, plants and other curiosities found on beaches, shorelines and river banks. The book is co-authored by Stephen Leatherman, also known as "Dr. Beach," who issues an annual list of America's "best beaches" each Memorial Day, using criteria such as water quality. The book includes a list of 35 of the best North American water's edge destinations, with top beaches culled from Leatherman's annual list, plus his choices for top 10 river sites and top five Great Lakes beaches. The Great Lakes beaches on the list are Bayfield Main Beach on Lake Huron in Ontario; Oak Street Beach, Lake Michigan, in Chicago; Presque Isle State Park, Lake Erie, in Pennsylvania; and two in Michigan, Sand Point Beach, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Lake Superior, and Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Lake Michigan.
—"Road Trip USA" by Jamie Jensen is out from Moon publishers in its sixth edition ($30). The book's "Cross-Country Adventures on America's Two-Lane Highways" offer six north-to-south routes and five west-to-east routes, from trips that hug the Atlantic and Pacific coasts to cross-country treks like the Oregon Trail from the Oregon coast to Cape Cod, Mass. Other chapters cover classics like Route 66 between Hollywood and Chicago and the Great River Road from the headwaters of the Mississippi in Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico in Louisiana. The book offers all kinds of history and trivia and also includes recommendations for attractions and side trips along the way.
—The Appalachian Mountain Club has come out with "Outdoors with Kids" guides for New York City and Boston. Each book lists 100 places to explore in and around each city, from urban parks, historic sites and greenways within city limits to beaches, ponds, hikes and other outings outside the city, most of them doable as day trips and many accessible by public transportation. The New York guide ranges from famous places like Central Park to less well-known spots like the Socrates Sculpture Garden in Queens to the Rockefeller State Park Preserve in Pleasantville, N.Y., 30 miles north of the city, plus beaches on Long Island and in New Jersey. Boston's list includes Boston Common and Jamaica Pond, plus sites that are farther away like the Quabbin Reservoir in Belchertown, Mass., about 85 miles west of the city, and a few spots in other parts of New England including places in Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Connecticut.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
29 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 29
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 29
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 29
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 29
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 29
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 29
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 29
8. new new
8 of 29
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 29
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 29
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 29
12 of 29
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 29
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 29
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 29
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 29
17. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
17 of 29
18. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
18 of 29
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 29
20 of 29
21. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
21 of 29
22. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
22 of 29
23. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
23 of 29
24. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
24 of 29
25. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
25 of 29
26. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
26 of 29
27. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
27 of 29
28. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
28 of 29
29. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
29 of 29