WASHINGTON (AP) — Michelle Obama, the nation's first lady and a high-profile spokeswoman for healthy eating, has added a new book on growing and cooking nutritious food to her resume. Here's an easy soup recipe from "American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America."
CORN SOUP WITH SUMMER VEGETABLES
"This versatile soup is the essence of summer. Dairy-free and nearly fat-free, it showcases the pure, sweet taste of summer corn and can be served hot or at room temperature," White House chef Sam Kass writes in Michelle Obama's new book, "American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America."
"A garnish of summer vegetables, grilled and cut into bite-sized pieces, makes this soup your own unique creation. Try zucchini or summer squash, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers or mushrooms, alone or in combination. If you leave out the corn kernels and don't thin the soup with the corn stock, this becomes a luxurious sauce for seafood like halibut, tilapia, or shrimp."
Start to finish: 1 1/2 hours
6 ears of corn, husks and silk removed
2 sprigs fresh thyme
Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
Grilled vegetables of your choice: zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, mushrooms
Carefully cut the kernels off the ears of corn. To do this, stand each ear of corn upright on its wide end, then use a serrated knife to carefully saw down the length of the cob, rotating and repeating until all of the kernels are removed. Set the kernels aside. Do not discard in the cobs.
To make corn stock, place the cobs in a large stockpot. Add enough water to just barely cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the water has a rich corn flavor. Strain the stock and discard the cobs and any solids. Set aside.
Reserve 3/4 cup of the corn kernels, then place the remaining kernels in a blender. Puree until smooth, about 45 seconds. If needed, add a bit of the corn stock to help get the blender started. Pour the puree through a mesh strainer into a medium saucepan. Discard any bits of skin.
Add the thyme and bring the soup to a gentle simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Do not boil.
As the soup heats, the starch from the corn will begin to thicken the soup. Once the soup has thickened to the consistency of applesauce, about 3 to 4 minutes, add the lemon juice and the reserved corn stock a bit at a time until the soup reaches the desired thickness. You should have 4 to 6 cups of soup. Season with salt.
Heat a small skillet over medium. Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom on the pan. When the oil is hot, add the reserved corn kernels. Do not stir until the corn has a nice brown color. Stir the corn, then remove it from the heat.
Divide the soup between serving bowls, then top each serving with some of the seared corn and any other grilled vegetables desired.
Nutrition information per serving (values are rounded to the nearest whole number): 150 calories; 45 calories from fat (30 percent of total calories); 5 g fat (0 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 0 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrate; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 120 mg sodium.
(Recipe adapted from Michelle Obama's "American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America")
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30