By now, you might be sick of singing competitions. After Jessica Sanchez was robbed of a win (sorry but you know it’s true) on “American Idol” and Jermaine Paul was crowned the winner of “The Voice,” you might wonder if these shows will eventually run out of credible singing talent. Well, Sanchez certainly proved that the contestants with the most star potential don’t always win – hey, Jennifer Hudson – and we’ll have to wait and see on Paul.
But the latest entry into the singing competition game adds yet another twist. On “Duets,” aspiring singers get to sing with the top-notch talent who are also the show’s judges. Former MTV veejay Quddus is the host, which is surely a big break for him.
“Idol” winner Kelly Clarkson, Sugarland lead singer Jennifer Nettles, John Legend and Robin Thicke are the judges, mentors and duet partners who have to choose two singers who best fit their voice and who have the vocal chops to win. It’s sort of a competition within a competition. Since the judges vote on each other’s picks, it makes for some potential scheming considering that the group could decide “Survivor” style to conspire to vote off each one of their strongest singers to help themselves win. So far there’s no Levine/Aguilera like feuding going on, but we’re only one show in. (If it happens, I’d pick Robin Thicke vs. John Legend – two competitive guys likely to try and roll over the sweet Southern lady singers who are on the show with them.)
Last Thursday night’s debut featured the same kind of heart-warming stories that the other shows have in droves. One of Kelly Clarkson’s picks, Jordan Meredith, was a super fan who almost passed out when she was face to face with her Idol (capitalization intended.) One of Jennifer Nettles’ picks was a gospel singer from her small hometown of Douglas, Georgia. John Legend’s pick, Bridget Carrington, is an IRS auditor who took great advantage of her opportunity with one of the best performances of the night. Robin Thicke, unsurprisingly, chose two Black female singers, one of whom he pulled from the gospel ranks. He stands to gain the most from the show. Despite several albums, he’s still searching for the kind of mainstream success the others already enjoy.
As far as singing shows go, “Duets” has potential. The two hours went by quickly and it was interesting to see who the judges kept on top of the leader board. J Rome, a singer in the Trey Songz vein, was the first to perform and no one grabbed the lead from him, although he didn’t seem to the audience or the viewers to necessarily be the strongest singer. Team Clarkson was at the bottom by show’s end, though she and Meredith had one of the episode’s strongest duets.
If you enjoy the singing competitions, “Duets” gives them a little bit of a new flavor, although there are plenty of duets with the famous coaches on “The Voice.” But the four singers here are all big fan favorites and it is interesting to watch how other voices sound on the hits these artists made famous. Despite the low first time scores, Team Thicke and Team Clarkson both have some interesting singers, as does Team Legend, who apparently loses one of them after the first show. He’ll have to go back to the drawing board, so we’ll see if he helps or hurts himself with his next pick. Given the weakness of summer TV programming, “Duets” might be one of your better choices, if only as a temporary fix until the real singing competition powerhouses, “Idol,” “The Voice,” and “The X Factor,” return.
“Duets” is on ABC on Thursdays at 8 p.m. ET
Watch the full season premiere of “Duets” here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25