With high unemployment among veterans and their spouses, a foundation has launched a six-month social media campaign to get them working again.
The I Am Not A HERO Foundation, Inc. kicked off its program on Memorial Day weekend, the first major holiday in the calendar year that recognizes military men, women and their families who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.
According to a report released last week by the U.S. Congress Joint Economic Committee (JEC), the nation's youngest veterans (ages 18-24) face an unemployment rate of more than 30 percent, nearly double the unemployment rate facing non-veterans in the same age group.
The report, “Memorial Day 2012: Combatting High Unemployment Among Young Veterans,” also shows that the unemployment rate for men and women who have served since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 is significantly higher than the unemployment rate facing non-veterans and higher than the unemployment rate experienced by veterans from other wars.
I Am Not A Hero’s campaign also notes the jobless rate exceeds 20 percent for military spouses. The nonprofit aims to engage the public and employers about the importance of hiring veterans and their spouses, using Twitter, and monthly town hall discussions on Facebook, weekly updates from Honoring Our Heroes and through a radio show hosted by I Am Not A Hero co-founder C.J. Jordan.
Jordan, president and CEO of the Jordan Management Group and principal and vice president of government relations for the Steptoe Group, organizes athletes and entertainers to visit and support troops, veterans and their families in a variety of ways.
The public and employers can post notices about job postings and career fairs on Twitter at #MyNextMove and #HiringOurHEROs as well as link to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Hiring Our Heroes program, part of the new veterans initiative Got Your 6, which links major film studios, broadcast and cable networks, talent agencies and guilds in the entertainment industry.
I Am Not a HERO wants to hear from you via Facebook or IamNotAHERO@gmail.com if you have hired a veteran or military spouse, are a veteran-owned business, would like to post an opening, join the monthly chats and town halls, host a professional career day or volunteer to get the public engaged on the issue.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30