With high unemployment among veterans and their spouses, a foundation has launched a six-month social media campaign to get them working again.
The I Am Not A HERO Foundation, Inc. kicked off its program on Memorial Day weekend, the first major holiday in the calendar year that recognizes military men, women and their families who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.
According to a report released last week by the U.S. Congress Joint Economic Committee (JEC), the nation's youngest veterans (ages 18-24) face an unemployment rate of more than 30 percent, nearly double the unemployment rate facing non-veterans in the same age group.
The report, “Memorial Day 2012: Combatting High Unemployment Among Young Veterans,” also shows that the unemployment rate for men and women who have served since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 is significantly higher than the unemployment rate facing non-veterans and higher than the unemployment rate experienced by veterans from other wars.
I Am Not A Hero’s campaign also notes the jobless rate exceeds 20 percent for military spouses. The nonprofit aims to engage the public and employers about the importance of hiring veterans and their spouses, using Twitter, and monthly town hall discussions on Facebook, weekly updates from Honoring Our Heroes and through a radio show hosted by I Am Not A Hero co-founder C.J. Jordan.
Jordan, president and CEO of the Jordan Management Group and principal and vice president of government relations for the Steptoe Group, organizes athletes and entertainers to visit and support troops, veterans and their families in a variety of ways.
The public and employers can post notices about job postings and career fairs on Twitter at #MyNextMove and #HiringOurHEROs as well as link to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Hiring Our Heroes program, part of the new veterans initiative Got Your 6, which links major film studios, broadcast and cable networks, talent agencies and guilds in the entertainment industry.
I Am Not a HERO wants to hear from you via Facebook or IamNotAHERO@gmail.com if you have hired a veteran or military spouse, are a veteran-owned business, would like to post an opening, join the monthly chats and town halls, host a professional career day or volunteer to get the public engaged on the issue.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31