CENTRAL FALLS, R.I. (AP) — Viola Davis addressed graduating seniors Thursday at the high school in the struggling Rhode Island city where she grew up, urging them to treasure "hard times and joyous moments" and telling them that the "privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."
The Oscar-nominated actress from the film "The Help" spoke to Central Falls High School's class of 2012, student actors and members of student government and other alumni nearly 30 years after receiving her own diploma there. She was also inducted into the school's Alumni Hall of Fame.
A member of the class of 1983, Davis has continued to support the 1.3-square-mile city of 19,000 just north of Providence.
Central Falls hThe — a state receiver filed for bankruptcy on its behalf last year — and for the mass firing in 2010 of all the high school's teachers. They were later rehired.
"Central Falls makes up in heart what it lacks in size," Davis told students on a stage where she once acted. "Make your mark — whatever it is — you have it in you."
Davis was a favorite for best actress in this year's Academy Awards for her performance as a black maid in "The Help," but she lost out to Meryl Streep, who won for "The Iron Lady."
Streep later made $10,000 donations in Davis' name to a charter school Davis has supported and to the Upward Bound scholarship fund that the actress established with her sister.
Davis donated $1,000 each last year to the Central Falls library — which had temporarily closed because of finances — and the charter. In accepting a Screen Actors Guild award in January she told students there to "dream big and dream fierce."
The high school principal, Joshua Laplante, called Davis a treasured graduate and said she has overcome adversity but remembers where she came from with a "genuine sense of pride."
Davis was born on her grandmother's farm in South Carolina in 1965, the second youngest of six children of a factory worker and homemaker mother and a horse trainer father. The family moved to Central Falls when she was a few months old.
Davis recounted a time in third grade when a classmate kept calling her "the N-word," prompting her to try to best him in some way. He was known as the fastest boy in Central Falls, so she challenged him to a race.
She worried as recess approached — her shoes were a size and a half too small and her socks had holes — and she wondered how she'd be able to run fast.
"I did what any self-respecting girl would have done: I took my shoes off," she said.
The race was a tie. But she said Thursday she was telling the story as a kind of lesson to students.
"You gotta be in the race, no matter what," she said. "Win or lose.
"I know the road ahead of you," she added. "I know all the obstacles that are placed in your path, living in Central Falls. That's nothing compared to what you're going to face in life."
Davis graduated in 1988 from Rhode Island College, where she studied theater.
"It's really an honor to have her here," said Julissa Flores, a 15-year-old member of the high school's student government. "She's a role model to us, to go further and actually succeed in life."
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31