The presidential campaign is turning ugly and race will become one of the most emotionally-charged story lines six months before the November election.
Here’s why: Republicans plan to spend as much as $500 million to oust Obama from the White House by mounting a series of racially-provocative ads linking President Barack Obama to his former pastor Rev. Jeremiah Wright, whose controversial sermons on race resulted in Obama denouncing him in 2008.
The proposal — “The Defeat of Barack Hussein Obama: The Ricketts Plan to End His Spending for Good” — calls for flooding the nation with commercials that paint Obama as a radical who surrounded himself with an unbalanced spiritual advisor. The end game is to rally Republicans around Mitt Romney while also persuading independents to join the GOP.
“The world is about to see Jeremiah Wright and understand his influence on Barack Obama for the first time in a big, attention-arresting way,” says the proposal, which was commissioned by Joe Ricketts, the founder of the brokerage firm TD Ameritrade.
The $10 million plan, according to The New York Times, includes a strategy for how to respond to the charges of race-baiting. The group also suggested hiring as a spokesman — an “extremely literate conservative African-American” — who can argue that Obama duped the nation by portraying himself as what the proposal calls a “metro sexual, black Abe Lincoln.”
So why is this proposal dangerous? Because it has the potential to be effective. Sadly, many Americans often fall for the GOP's smoke-and-mirror politics and racial ads that Republicans have perfected over the years. And with polls showing Obama clinging to a three-point lead over Romney, Republicans are desperate to devise a strategy to oust Obama from the White House.
The 54-page plan says that GOP leaders have already contacted a guy named Larry Elder, a black conservative radio host in Los Angeles, about serving as their spokesman, and the plan also calls for a group of black business leaders to endorse the effort, according to the Times.
Certainly African-Americans won't vote against Obama because of people like Elder, but the plan does give an unusual glimpse into the Republican campaign strategy and underscores how far the GOP is willing to go to unseat Obama. Moreover, Republicans will attempt to encourage more black people to attack Obama so their plan to take down the president does not appear to be orchestrated by an all-white political operation.
Obama Campaign Manager Jim Messina called the GOP plan “appalling.”
“The blueprint for a hate-filled, divisive campaign of character assassination speaks for itself,” Messina said. “It also reflects how far the party has drifted in four short years since John McCain rejected these very tactics. Once again, Governor Romney has fallen short of the standard that John McCain set, reacting tepidly in a moment that required moral leadership in standing up to the very extreme wing of his own party.”
Ricketts, meanwhile, a Chicago-based investor, tried to distance himself from the proposal, saying it was never intended to be taken seriously.
But that’s nonsense because, according to the Times, the proposal suggests that Ricketts believes the 2008 campaign of Senator John McCain made a strategic mistake by not using images of Rev. Wright against Obama. “If the nation had seen that ad,” Ricketts said in the proposal, “they’d never have elected Barack Obama.”
We’ve seen these GOP scare tactics before. Think Willie Horton, the black Massachusetts convict who was serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole until he was granted a
furlough from prison and subsequently committed assault and rape. During the 1988 presidential campaign, George H. W. Bush ran highly effective ads linking Horton to Democrats being soft on crime and sinking Gov. Michael Dukakis’ candidacy. But the subtext of the ads was all about race: A dangerous black convict preying on women.
And today, Republicans are repeating that same bigoted strategy from nearly 25 years ago in an attempt to frighten white voters, but this time the boogeyman is Rev. Wright.
“Throughout the course of the campaign, [Romney] has repeatedly refused to stand up to the most extreme voices in the Republican Party," Obama campaign press secretary Ben LaBolt said in a new statement. "If this is the ‘leadership’ he has shown on the campaign trail, what can the American people expect of him President of the United States?”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31