The presidential campaign is turning ugly and race will become one of the most emotionally-charged story lines six months before the November election.
Here’s why: Republicans plan to spend as much as $500 million to oust Obama from the White House by mounting a series of racially-provocative ads linking President Barack Obama to his former pastor Rev. Jeremiah Wright, whose controversial sermons on race resulted in Obama denouncing him in 2008.
The proposal — “The Defeat of Barack Hussein Obama: The Ricketts Plan to End His Spending for Good” — calls for flooding the nation with commercials that paint Obama as a radical who surrounded himself with an unbalanced spiritual advisor. The end game is to rally Republicans around Mitt Romney while also persuading independents to join the GOP.
“The world is about to see Jeremiah Wright and understand his influence on Barack Obama for the first time in a big, attention-arresting way,” says the proposal, which was commissioned by Joe Ricketts, the founder of the brokerage firm TD Ameritrade.
The $10 million plan, according to The New York Times, includes a strategy for how to respond to the charges of race-baiting. The group also suggested hiring as a spokesman — an “extremely literate conservative African-American” — who can argue that Obama duped the nation by portraying himself as what the proposal calls a “metro sexual, black Abe Lincoln.”
So why is this proposal dangerous? Because it has the potential to be effective. Sadly, many Americans often fall for the GOP's smoke-and-mirror politics and racial ads that Republicans have perfected over the years. And with polls showing Obama clinging to a three-point lead over Romney, Republicans are desperate to devise a strategy to oust Obama from the White House.
The 54-page plan says that GOP leaders have already contacted a guy named Larry Elder, a black conservative radio host in Los Angeles, about serving as their spokesman, and the plan also calls for a group of black business leaders to endorse the effort, according to the Times.
Certainly African-Americans won't vote against Obama because of people like Elder, but the plan does give an unusual glimpse into the Republican campaign strategy and underscores how far the GOP is willing to go to unseat Obama. Moreover, Republicans will attempt to encourage more black people to attack Obama so their plan to take down the president does not appear to be orchestrated by an all-white political operation.
Obama Campaign Manager Jim Messina called the GOP plan “appalling.”
“The blueprint for a hate-filled, divisive campaign of character assassination speaks for itself,” Messina said. “It also reflects how far the party has drifted in four short years since John McCain rejected these very tactics. Once again, Governor Romney has fallen short of the standard that John McCain set, reacting tepidly in a moment that required moral leadership in standing up to the very extreme wing of his own party.”
Ricketts, meanwhile, a Chicago-based investor, tried to distance himself from the proposal, saying it was never intended to be taken seriously.
But that’s nonsense because, according to the Times, the proposal suggests that Ricketts believes the 2008 campaign of Senator John McCain made a strategic mistake by not using images of Rev. Wright against Obama. “If the nation had seen that ad,” Ricketts said in the proposal, “they’d never have elected Barack Obama.”
We’ve seen these GOP scare tactics before. Think Willie Horton, the black Massachusetts convict who was serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole until he was granted a
furlough from prison and subsequently committed assault and rape. During the 1988 presidential campaign, George H. W. Bush ran highly effective ads linking Horton to Democrats being soft on crime and sinking Gov. Michael Dukakis’ candidacy. But the subtext of the ads was all about race: A dangerous black convict preying on women.
And today, Republicans are repeating that same bigoted strategy from nearly 25 years ago in an attempt to frighten white voters, but this time the boogeyman is Rev. Wright.
“Throughout the course of the campaign, [Romney] has repeatedly refused to stand up to the most extreme voices in the Republican Party," Obama campaign press secretary Ben LaBolt said in a new statement. "If this is the ‘leadership’ he has shown on the campaign trail, what can the American people expect of him President of the United States?”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30