As you well know, or I hope you do, this Sunday is Mother’s day. And I just wanted to spend a moment celebrating ALL the mothers out there. And I do mean ALL the Moms.
You know those "single, I never wanted to do this by myself, but this guy just can't get right, so I hold it down" moms.
And the "I never wanted this baby, but I thought it would make him stay even though he left, and he doesn’t see the kid, but I still let him hit" moms.
Also the "I’m lonely, so my kids are my best friends, take my daughter down the street to fight that chick and put it on Youtube, when keepin’ it real goes wrong" moms.
But you have to big up the "I’m single for whatever reason that I am not explaining to you, balling out of control or broke, I got this financially, I want a man but won't compromise for one, my kids are together" moms.
And you got to give it up to the "my kids come first and I use them as an excuse not to advance myself, oh woe is me, pity party with my other lazy momma" moms.
But then you have to celebrate the "my kids come first as I push every other waking hour to advance myself, so that I can be an example of work ethic, on my momma and my grind, man or not" kind of moms.
And whether you realize it or not there are the "same sex, I don’t care what you think, we are going to raise this child, born to us or adopted, because we have love to give" moms.
But you can't ignore the "don’t forget that all mothers are not single parents, I have a husband and I hold down the house and these babies, not to fulfill am antiquated gender role, but because this is what I do, I’m the black June Cleaver" mom.
And we have to celebrate the "I’m married and love it, we both work cause we have to or cause we’re called to, I am a professional or even an executive, and I cook on the days he doesn’t, better than Clair Huxtable" moms.
And you may not know many of them, but there are the "I earn it ALL, cause that’s what we agreed to, my man is a real man that stayed at home with the kids, supporting my career advancement, I am bigger than Kimora, power broker" mom.
And last but not least there is the "I am not a woman, but for whatever reason mom is gone, and I am the single dad holding it down anyway I know how, like so many of my single sisters do" mom.
So if you fit into any of those boxes, or if I missed the kind of mom you are. I just want to say thank you to the "read to their kids, great mix of discipline and tenderness, I keep myself together for me and my kids tight for them, I show up at the school, and do homework at home, realize I don’t know it all, but will learn what I don’t know, committed to leaving a legacy" moms out there.
There are all kinds of moms out there and we love you ALL. Thank you for playing a role in making the future brighter, for every great woman and man enters this world through his or her mother. So I would ask that as we celebrate you, that you value and remind some that forgot (or never learned how to value) the most blessed job you could ever be given; that you are the gateway to all life. Cherish it, no matter your circumstance and the world will be better for it.
Join me Sunday 5-7 p.m. on my Internet show THE INTERSECTION at http://www.blis.fm as my mother and I talk with other generations of mothers about the 10 things every mother should know.
Happy Mothers Day.
I’m Jeff Johnson and that’s my truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25