As you well know, or I hope you do, this Sunday is Mother’s day. And I just wanted to spend a moment celebrating ALL the mothers out there. And I do mean ALL the Moms.
You know those "single, I never wanted to do this by myself, but this guy just can't get right, so I hold it down" moms.
And the "I never wanted this baby, but I thought it would make him stay even though he left, and he doesn’t see the kid, but I still let him hit" moms.
Also the "I’m lonely, so my kids are my best friends, take my daughter down the street to fight that chick and put it on Youtube, when keepin’ it real goes wrong" moms.
But you have to big up the "I’m single for whatever reason that I am not explaining to you, balling out of control or broke, I got this financially, I want a man but won't compromise for one, my kids are together" moms.
And you got to give it up to the "my kids come first and I use them as an excuse not to advance myself, oh woe is me, pity party with my other lazy momma" moms.
But then you have to celebrate the "my kids come first as I push every other waking hour to advance myself, so that I can be an example of work ethic, on my momma and my grind, man or not" kind of moms.
And whether you realize it or not there are the "same sex, I don’t care what you think, we are going to raise this child, born to us or adopted, because we have love to give" moms.
But you can't ignore the "don’t forget that all mothers are not single parents, I have a husband and I hold down the house and these babies, not to fulfill am antiquated gender role, but because this is what I do, I’m the black June Cleaver" mom.
And we have to celebrate the "I’m married and love it, we both work cause we have to or cause we’re called to, I am a professional or even an executive, and I cook on the days he doesn’t, better than Clair Huxtable" moms.
And you may not know many of them, but there are the "I earn it ALL, cause that’s what we agreed to, my man is a real man that stayed at home with the kids, supporting my career advancement, I am bigger than Kimora, power broker" mom.
And last but not least there is the "I am not a woman, but for whatever reason mom is gone, and I am the single dad holding it down anyway I know how, like so many of my single sisters do" mom.
So if you fit into any of those boxes, or if I missed the kind of mom you are. I just want to say thank you to the "read to their kids, great mix of discipline and tenderness, I keep myself together for me and my kids tight for them, I show up at the school, and do homework at home, realize I don’t know it all, but will learn what I don’t know, committed to leaving a legacy" moms out there.
There are all kinds of moms out there and we love you ALL. Thank you for playing a role in making the future brighter, for every great woman and man enters this world through his or her mother. So I would ask that as we celebrate you, that you value and remind some that forgot (or never learned how to value) the most blessed job you could ever be given; that you are the gateway to all life. Cherish it, no matter your circumstance and the world will be better for it.
Join me Sunday 5-7 p.m. on my Internet show THE INTERSECTION at http://www.blis.fm as my mother and I talk with other generations of mothers about the 10 things every mother should know.
Happy Mothers Day.
I’m Jeff Johnson and that’s my truth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31