In my most recent “In Deep Waters” series, which features the TJMS’ own Jacque Reid, Sandy “Pepa” Denton and their friends Joumanna Kidd and Kittie Troy, we discuss the top three things that women really desire from their man.
Check out this compelling video for yourself. (Click here for Part Three.)
Some of the key things the women said they need were:
– A man who believes in God.
– A man that they can have fun with.
– A man who would accept their kids or, in Jacque’s case, her dog, Sugar Shane.
– A man that looks good or who’s attractive to them.
– Respect, meaning a man who honors his woman by doing what she needs to feel loved by him. Also meaning he’s not going to put her in a predicament where other women can disrespect her because of something he did.
– A man who can disarm her but who knows how to talk to her in away that she can receive – with love, warmth and authority.
– A man who’s ready to have a family and build a life together.
– A man who’s graduated from the “he’s got potential” phase – one who is successful enough to add to her life, who can either help her maintain and/or enhance her current lifestyle.
– A man with confidence
The overall component that all of these women wanted was “a man With a plan.” I think that really sums it up.
When I posed the question about black men in particular who may not meet their socio/economic requirements – especially in this economy – the conversation got very intense.
The consensus was that at this point in their lives, as women in their 30s and beyond, they no longer have the time or desire to mother a man. He needs to be a ready-made man who’s ready to move forward with a real woman in a manner that makes sense for them both. After a certain point, these women aren’t willing to “see where things go” without a plan to solidify the direction of the relationship. What they wanted from a man was someone who wanted to be there – in the game of life with them on purpose, for a purpose.
Here’s my “Direct” point: Love is not enough. Two people need to come together liking one another, respecting one another and communicating effectively basically being on one accord. I believe women are looking for a partner and a leader, someone who sees her for who she really is and celebrates her. Someone who’s done fishing and testing the waters because he realizes he’s found the best fish in the sea for him.
By the way, when do men stop fishing?
Finally, I believe women want a man that they can trust, admire and enjoy – spiritually, intellectually, emotionally, socially, sexually and financially.
What do you think women really want?
Deya “Direct” Smith is a producer on “The Tom Joyner Morning Show” and host of Girlfriend FM and Beyond the Studio celebrity interviews on BlackAmericaWeb.com. She is also a motivational speaker, actress and social commentator. She can be reached at DeyaDirect@aol.com.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25