“Good morning. I don’t think we’ve met before, although you look familiar to me.” Sometimes you meet someone, and you feel like you’ve known them forever. Other times, you’ve known people for a long time, even intimately, and yet, one day you wake up, literally or figuratively, and realize that you barely know them at all.
What if the stranger that you wake up to is you?
It happens to the best of us. Even those of us like me who feel that they are very self aware, who embrace their strengths and weaknesses with both eyes wide open. Loosing a sense of self happens at various times, and clearly – for various reasons, in some way, shape or form – we let ourselves go and don’t realize it until things go too far or get too big for us to handle. I often hear mothers talk about how they’ve given up their lives for children, and at a certain point, they don’t really know themselves beyond that role. The same can be true in relationships. I have certainly been guilty of it.
I remember an ex once telling me that my wanting us to spend a lot of time together was smothering him, in so many words. Let me clarify. We were newlyweds. I was excited and was trying to learn how to be a wife. I, for one, thought you were supposed to be so in love and excited about each other that in the beginning of a new life together, spending your free time together is what you do. Clearly, we weren’t on the same page. Wish I could have taken heed to that memo before I said, “I do.” But, then again, before we got married, HE was the one who wanted to spend every waking moment together. Ain’t that a blip the way the script flips?
The point and statement that my ex made to me was that one characteristic that initially attracted him to me was that I was an independent and motivated woman, with my own friends and interests. He felt that I was losing that spark once we got married. Did I mention that we were newlyweds? I digress.
It was hard for me to accept what he was saying, and I thought it was just an excuse for him to go out and hang with the boys. And while I believe his timing was awful and immature for a person who just dedicated himself to being “one” with me, I later came to appreciate the spirit of his concern.
He noticed that I was losing a little bit of myself. I depended on him for too much of my happiness, and frankly, it was too much pressure on him. He wanted some time to miss me, look forward to seeing me when his day was over. We could come home and discuss the ups and downs of our day. We made the vow to become one, but there was still a need for us to feel like individuals – with unique interests and one-of-a-kind experiences.
Many women are guilty of losing themselves within a relationship. We give our hearts and spirits over often to the point beyond desire. When and if that relationship ends, you’re left trying to identify with yourself again. Who am I?
Indeed, who are you?
The rejection you feel when a relationship ends may often be less about the man leaving you and more about you leaving yourself.
Wake up – and realize that you being you is more attractive for everyone involved.
Deya “Direct” Smith, is a producer on the Tom Joyner Morning Show and host of Girlfriend FM and Beyond the Studio celebrity interviews on BlackAmericaWeb.com. She is also a motivational speaker, actress and social commentator. She can be reached at DeyaDirect@aol.com.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30