There comes a point in every parent’s life when it hits you that you aren’t just raising babies, but you have created a person. For me, I think it was when my oldest son received the Conductor (student) of the Year Award at school. Of course, having him recognized by a panel of teachers as being bright, responsible and courteous was one of the proudest moments his dad and I have had. But what is as important about him winning is what he did before he won.
I had been called out of town for a family emergency, and he and his brother were with a family friend. The day before the ceremony, without anyone telling him and no inkling of how it would turn out, he picked out his best pair of pants, his nicest shirt, dress shoes and a clip-on tie. He looked like a winner before he’d won. And when they called his name, he was prepared.
Click here to hear Nikki Woods’ weekly “What in the Weekend” report.
If he’d learned this lesson from me without me realizing I taught him, what other unknown examples have I set, good or bad?
It got me thinking about my own childhood, the lessons I learned from my dad and how they ultimately shaped me into the woman that I have become. I still tease him today about an unflattering comment he made about me years ago that he, of course, intended as a compliment. But the fact that I still remember it is a reminder to me as a parent that words and actions, no matter how major or minor, can have a lasting impact.
My parents weren’t perfect, and neither are we. In the end, all we can do is to try and make certain that we do more good than bad. If that happens, even when we’re not around, out chilren will be much more likely to draw a positive word of encouragement from their memory bank than something hurtful that will tear them down.
My father is not an overly emotional guy and often doesn’t have many words. But I realize now that most of what I learned from him was less about what he said and more about watching how he lived his life.
Thanks, Daddy, for more good lessons than bad.
Here are his top 10:
10. Your work ethic and character will set you apart from the crowd.
9. Admire people who are not only good at what they do, but who love doing it.
8. Respect your roots.
7. Never waste anything.
6. Anticipate what could go wrong – something always goes wrong – and try to prevent it from happening. If it happens anyway, learn from it.
5. There’s only one way to do things: The right way.
4. Listen to people. Listen to their stories. Listen deeply. That’s how you learn things.
3. Showing love and concern is more important than talking about it.
2. Many people deserve second chances, even if you have to give them a second chance more than once.
1. You are beautiful and loved.
Nikki Woods is senior producer of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” The author of “Easier Said Than Done,” the Dallas-based Woods is currently working on her second and third novels. You can friend her on Facebook or follow her on Twitter: @nikkiwoods.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30