Even though February is associated with Valentine’s Day and love, the media was filled with stories of relationships gone bad – and public!
From Mary Harvey going on a media blitz, telling anyone who would listen – including us at the TJMS – that her husband had abandoned her, to the sister who took down a text-happy Republican senator, to the chick who had an affair with a pastor and then started a website with the sole purpose of humiliating him, it’s been quite a month.
All three of these women had something in common, and crazy or scorned are not necessarily what I had in mind. All three used technology as their tool to wreak havoc and get revenge.
Personally, I don’t know anyone who has gone to these lengths to get back at an ex, but I’m not saying that makes me or my circle of friends any better than those who have. Still, we distance ourselves from the Mary Harvey-type people of the world because we haven’t taken our beefs with our ex-boos viral – but that doesn’t mean that we are innocent of vengeful wrongdoings. We just tend to keep our crazy a little closer to home.
Click here to hear Nikki Woods’ “What in the Weekend?” report.
Whether it’s talking bad about our mate or ex-mate to not allowing them to see their children because of issues in the adults’ relationship or doing damaging in a more physical, Jazmine Sullivan kind of way, just because your dirt hasn’t been released on cyberspace doesn’t make it less dirty.
Especially when there are babies involved.
For the sake of your children, your mental health and just good karma, getting along with each other should be the goal. No couple, married or divorced should ever tear each other down in front of their children, and no parent should ever tell their children negative things about the other. Easier said than done, I know. We’re all human and are guilty of getting angry sometimes, but mean-spirited, ongoing dissing is unacceptable. When things get bad, we should dig deep to pull up the qualities that we admired about each other when the getting was good – and share them with our kids.
But there’s an added layer.
Sometimes, even if we wanted to stay cool with our exes, we have to fight off outside forces who constantly are giving us negative information or feedback about them. Throw holy water on them (figuratively speaking), and back away. We need to distance ourselves from this type of bad energy – and also question why anyone would want to keep us in that awful state.
I am blessed to have parents who – although they’ve been married for 43 years, and their biggest worry tends to be what exotic vacation they will take next – get the importance of my maintaining a healthy relationship with my ex and encourage it by treating him as a part of the family. And his family does the same for me.
I hope that through our actions, we are teaching our sons that we were committed enough to each other to bring them into the world and remain committed enough to them to parent together, and we can do that whether we are still married or not.
So, whether you’re spewing negative press about your ex on YouTube or to the members of your book club, realize that it’s not healthy and keeps you from moving on to a place of contentment, renewal and self-worth. As hard and heart-wrenching as it sometimes is to accept that you made the wrong choice – or that the one you love no longer loves you back – talking about it in a negative way won’t change a thing.
Instead, wish him well, and work on making yourself better for your children, family and friends. Again, I know sometimes it’s easier said than done, but if nothing else, maybe we should all take a page from D.L. Hughley’s new relationship book and “Shhhh … for Love.”
Nikki Woods is senior producer of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” The author of “Easier Said Than Done,” the Dallas-based Woods is currently working on her second and third novels. You can friend her on Facebook or follow her on Twitter: @nikkiwoods.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30