The highly anticipated movie “Red Tails” hits theatres this Friday, Jan. 20th. “Red Tails” stars Cuba Gooding Jr., Terrence Howard and Ne-Yo, among others, and tells the real-life account of the Tuskegee Airmen, an all-black World War II fighter pilot squad. The squadron, which was sent to North Africa and Italy to escort white bomber pilots, consisted of some of the best fighter pilots in the Air Corps.
Meet Roscoe Brown, one of those Tuskegee Airmen.
Growing up in the 1930s in Washington, D.C., Brown made model airplanes and imagined himself flying like the pilots he saw during air races that his parents took him to on weekends, although for a long time, flying was just a dream because of racial barriers. But his parents encouraged their two children – he was the younger child – to aspire to do great things.
Brown held onto and pursued his dream, finally getting the chance to be a pilot, serving as one of the Tuskegee Airmen.
During World War II, Brown, now 89, served as a squadron commander and received the Distinguished Flying Cross.
The story of Roscoe Brown, along with those of six other airmen, has been brought to the big screen in “Double Victory,” a documentary produced by George Lucas. Narrated by Academy Award-winning actor Cuba Gooding Jr., the movie has been screened in major cities to promote “Red Tails.”
“It tells the story of how blacks were excluded from the military because of segregation to how they were included in World War II because of protests in the black community,” Brown, who is director of the Center for Urban Education Policy at the Graduate School and University Center of CUNY, said of the documentary. “It talks about our training at Tuskegee and the trials and tribulations we faced there. It talks about our combat activity first in North Africa and Italy. It also talks about the combat we faced in the States while we were getting our training. That is why they named the film ‘Double Victory.’ We overcame the Nazis, and we overcame segregation.”
I got a chance to sit down with Mr. Brown, and during our conversation, we talked about the significance of the Tuskegee Airmen and the challenges they faced, how he made his dream of being a pilot come true, the making of both the movie and the documentary and the overall swag of being fighter pilot.
And now for my short-and-to-the-point) editorial comments. Insert dramatic pause here.
It’s important to note that “Red Tails” almost didn’t get made. Studios turned it down, seeing it as an economic loser. Luckily, “Star Wars” producer George Lucas came along with his extremely deep pockets and could afford to make a $93 million passion project.
Make sure you GO TO THE THEATER and support this very important film! Let the bootleg man miss you this week. In 2010, the African-Americans Revealed study reported that black buying power was at about $913 billion, with a projected increase to $1.2 trillion by 2013. If you want to see more movies about African Americans by African-Americans starring African-Americans, then put your money where your mouth is.
And that is why I will be first in line Friday at the theater to buy my ticket to see “Red Tails.” I’m also taking my two boys and a group of their friends, not only to learn about a piece of American history, but to realize that hard work really does pay off – then and now.
Nikki Woods is senior producer of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” The author of “Easier Said Than Done,” the Dallas-based Woods is currently working on her second and third novels. You can friend her on Facebook or follow her on Twitter: @nikkiwoods.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31