Last Sunday, my kids and I prepared our favorite meals and snacks and got ready to party. If you didn’t know any better, you might have thought were having a Super Bowl Party one week early.
It wasn’t the Super Bowl we were celebrating, but my son’s participation in the Education Bowl. But wouldn’t it be great if families and friends put as much emphasis on students striving to excel in their class work as we do grown men excelling on a football field?
When was the last time you cheered for your son or daughter for distinguishing themselves in non-sports related feat? How many people do you invite to the spelling bee? How much many hours a day after school do they do homework vs. attend practice for their sports teams?
I get the importance of school and community sports. My boys play basketball and baseball. But especially in our community, since you can count on more parents showing up on the field or the court than school open house or a PTA meeting, we ought to be willing to try something different.
You can’t blame kids for thinking athletics are more important than academics, especially boys. If they’re good, they’re usually the most popular and given special treatment by students, coaches and even some teachers and administrators.
I know I’m fantasizing, but how cool would it be if there was a day as big as the Super Bowl dedicated to kids, – especially boys – celebrating their intelligence. If athletes, actors, politicians, laborers, business executives, kids and parents got a national platform to pay homage to boys and girls who performed well in school. If the hottest musicians sang, corporate America paid top dollar to air the most creative ads, and families served chili, nachos and sliders as the rooted on academic achievers.
So many African-American boys are pressured by their peers to dumb it down when they get to middle school because, for some reason, it’s not cool to be smart in some circles. Hopefully, now that the coolest black man in the world is also president of the United States, this will change.
Booker T. Washington made the following observation: “The Negro boy has obstacles, discouragements and temptations to battle with that are little known to those not situated as he is. When a white boy undertakes a task, it is taken for granted that he will succeed. On the other hand, people are usually surprised if the Negro boy does not fail. In a word, the Negro youth starts out with the presumption against him.
It’s crazy how he wrote these words over 100 years ago, and they are still true today.
It starts in the home with your family. Cheer good grades more than you cheer touch downs. Put as much emphasis on study time as you do on practice.
Last night, we had another celebration – but once again, it wasn’t for Super Bowl. After taking second place in their league’s championship, my youngest son was awarded a trophy and the heart award.
I was so proud. Confucius says, “Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” This quote meant more to me this past weekend than ever before. My son may not be the best offensive or defensive player, but when he steps on the court, he brings so much heart with him, he can’t help but make things happen. I hope he brings his heart to whatever he chooses to do in life. Heart makes all the difference.
And to help both of my sons on that journey, I celebrate the good things: my youngest one’s heart, his older brother’s character and high moral compass, plus their good grades.
As mentioned earlier, I agree that sports can teach some valuable life lessons, but it’s not the only measure of success for our children.
Let’s celebrate equally everything our children bring to the table.
Nikki Woods is senior producer of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” The author of “Easier Said Than Done,” the Dallas-based Woods is currently working on her second and third novels. You can friend her on Facebook or follow her on Twitter: @nikkiwoods.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30