Last Sunday, my kids and I prepared our favorite meals and snacks and got ready to party. If you didn’t know any better, you might have thought were having a Super Bowl Party one week early.
It wasn’t the Super Bowl we were celebrating, but my son’s participation in the Education Bowl. But wouldn’t it be great if families and friends put as much emphasis on students striving to excel in their class work as we do grown men excelling on a football field?
When was the last time you cheered for your son or daughter for distinguishing themselves in non-sports related feat? How many people do you invite to the spelling bee? How much many hours a day after school do they do homework vs. attend practice for their sports teams?
I get the importance of school and community sports. My boys play basketball and baseball. But especially in our community, since you can count on more parents showing up on the field or the court than school open house or a PTA meeting, we ought to be willing to try something different.
You can’t blame kids for thinking athletics are more important than academics, especially boys. If they’re good, they’re usually the most popular and given special treatment by students, coaches and even some teachers and administrators.
I know I’m fantasizing, but how cool would it be if there was a day as big as the Super Bowl dedicated to kids, – especially boys – celebrating their intelligence. If athletes, actors, politicians, laborers, business executives, kids and parents got a national platform to pay homage to boys and girls who performed well in school. If the hottest musicians sang, corporate America paid top dollar to air the most creative ads, and families served chili, nachos and sliders as the rooted on academic achievers.
So many African-American boys are pressured by their peers to dumb it down when they get to middle school because, for some reason, it’s not cool to be smart in some circles. Hopefully, now that the coolest black man in the world is also president of the United States, this will change.
Booker T. Washington made the following observation: “The Negro boy has obstacles, discouragements and temptations to battle with that are little known to those not situated as he is. When a white boy undertakes a task, it is taken for granted that he will succeed. On the other hand, people are usually surprised if the Negro boy does not fail. In a word, the Negro youth starts out with the presumption against him.
It’s crazy how he wrote these words over 100 years ago, and they are still true today.
It starts in the home with your family. Cheer good grades more than you cheer touch downs. Put as much emphasis on study time as you do on practice.
Last night, we had another celebration – but once again, it wasn’t for Super Bowl. After taking second place in their league’s championship, my youngest son was awarded a trophy and the heart award.
I was so proud. Confucius says, “Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” This quote meant more to me this past weekend than ever before. My son may not be the best offensive or defensive player, but when he steps on the court, he brings so much heart with him, he can’t help but make things happen. I hope he brings his heart to whatever he chooses to do in life. Heart makes all the difference.
And to help both of my sons on that journey, I celebrate the good things: my youngest one’s heart, his older brother’s character and high moral compass, plus their good grades.
As mentioned earlier, I agree that sports can teach some valuable life lessons, but it’s not the only measure of success for our children.
Let’s celebrate equally everything our children bring to the table.
Nikki Woods is senior producer of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” The author of “Easier Said Than Done,” the Dallas-based Woods is currently working on her second and third novels. You can friend her on Facebook or follow her on Twitter: @nikkiwoods.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31