Life is not always a smoothly-paved road.
Sometimes it’s pretty damn rough – in disrepair – rocky from heartbreak, marked by potholes overflowing with disappointment and often impassable from loss, grief and misunderstanding.
But even in the worst of times, I can still throw my hands up and scream, “I’M STILL HERE!”
I can still offer my love – free from judgment, my faith – stronger in the midst of the storm and my hope – that remains unwavering, to those who may seem a little short of their own.
And I can still be grateful.
If I died today, it would be okay because I have truly experienced all the goodness that this life has to offer. And, if nothing else, for that I am grateful.
But, of course, there is always more, so I am also grateful for …
Family! More specifically a mother who still talks to me in the middle of the night, no matter how tired she is; a father who still remains my rock, regardless of how far my world spins out of control (Thanks for the reality check.); a sister who is always ready to get down and dirty for a good cause, and my children, who never fail to have a hug and some sugah for dey mama. Sometimes a hug and kiss is all it takes to make everything right again. And for the other things that need soothing … well, I’m grateful as hell that somebody takes care of that too.
Childhood memories. It takes talking about them to remember how innocent growing up can really be. I was talking to someone about my paternal grandfather the other day. I would sit on the patio with him for hours, learning the finer points of checker moves. Just mouthing the words “King me” left me with a delicious feeling. I’ve had some wonderful male figures in my life.
A job that never fails to entertain me. Everything in life has its downsides, and so does every gig, but it has been a HUGE learning experience. I have grown and become a better person because of it. I am more tolerant of others and myself. I know how to push myself, but also accept my limitations. I also learned how to “let go and let God.” I’ve found that you don’t have to agree to get along, and not everyone is going to like you. But if you do your best and your intentions are in the right place, then that is enough.
Bubble baths. I took one at 12:30 this morning because I couldn’t sleep. Nothing relaxes me more than a few bubbles, a lot of heat, jets on high and a good book. I stayed in there until it was almost time for me to go to work. I think I make a pretty cute prune!
Health insurance. Damn, do you know how much it costs to get some tests done these days?! My heart goes out to those who struggle with adequate health care insurance for their families.
My creative mind power. I truly understand that everything starts inside of me and that I only have to change my thoughts to change my circumstances.
Love. I’ve had a lot of it – and continue to be overwhelmed by its generous nature. That’s why Corinthians 13:4 is one of my favorite verses: “Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant.” Wouldn’t the world be a different place if people truly believed and practiced this?
There are a TON of other things that I could include, but these are the ones that are sitting at the top of my list for today.
As always, I offer you my best ~ and for that, I am also grateful!
Now, what would your gratitude list look like?
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30