Have you ever heard the term used in the media that there’s been a leak? In other words, something was shared or exposed about some public figure in politics, entertainment or law enforcement that they didn’t want to get out. On the “TJMS,” we report and discuss leaks on a daily basis. Leaks are not always negative, but they do mean that something has either gotten out of control, has not been managed in a proper way or has been revealed before the time intended.
Do you have a leak in your life? Are there holes that need to be filled? Is something out of control that’s costing you too much or causing you to lose too much?
I have a nasty leak in my yard. The water is leaking out all over my grass and out into the street. It’s to the point that it’s obvious from where the leak is coming. My neighbors’ yards look normal, and mine looks like a muddy pool. My water bill is extra high, and I just got the plumber’s repair quote, and it’s hurting my feelings. But the bottom line is this leak has to be fixed because I’m paying for water that I’m not using.
One thing is for sure, when there is a problem, it’s better to take care of it early. The longer you wait, the worse the problem will get. And the more it will cost you in some form or fashion.
Similar to the leak in my yard, there are often leaks in our lives that need to be tended to, filled because we are leaking emotionally. This leaves us drained, unhappy and unpresentable. Like the yard, when you have emotional holes in your lives, you can hide them for a while, but eventually what’s inside will come out. Everyone will be able to see that you’re leaking.
This same concept can be applied to lies, secrets and deception. Eventually, what is hidden must be exposed. If you ate too much in 2011, the bulge in your formerly small stomach will begin to spill over.
Perhaps you had those secret midnight snacks to help comfort you in response to stress. Maybe you’re an emotional eater or drinker. Are you at the point where your actions are finally catching up to you for all to see the truth?
Here’s the good news for the New Year: It always symbolizes new beginnings. The New Year gives us a chance to do the hard work, to pay the cost to repair what needs to be fixed. It may hurt; it may be uncomfortable and inconvenient. But when we put in the hard work to mend that which is broken, we will look better, feel better and live better.
Leaking means you’re losing. Are you tired of it costing you too much? When will you realize you’ve lost enough? Be it life, love or money, none of it is meant to be wasted. It’s 2012, and I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to win. I’m ready to do the hard work for what I want and deserve.
Let’s get it! I’m Deya, and that’s my directive.
I want to hear from you. What’s leaking in your life? And what are you doing to fix it?
Deya “Direct” Smith is a producer on “The Tom Joyner Morning Show” and host of “Girlfriend FM,” as well as “Beyond the Studio” celebrity interviews on BlackAmericaWeb.com. She is also a motivational speaker, actress and social commentator. She can be reached at DeyaDirect@aol.com.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30