Have you ever heard the term used in the media that there’s been a leak? In other words, something was shared or exposed about some public figure in politics, entertainment or law enforcement that they didn’t want to get out. On the “TJMS,” we report and discuss leaks on a daily basis. Leaks are not always negative, but they do mean that something has either gotten out of control, has not been managed in a proper way or has been revealed before the time intended.
Do you have a leak in your life? Are there holes that need to be filled? Is something out of control that’s costing you too much or causing you to lose too much?
I have a nasty leak in my yard. The water is leaking out all over my grass and out into the street. It’s to the point that it’s obvious from where the leak is coming. My neighbors’ yards look normal, and mine looks like a muddy pool. My water bill is extra high, and I just got the plumber’s repair quote, and it’s hurting my feelings. But the bottom line is this leak has to be fixed because I’m paying for water that I’m not using.
One thing is for sure, when there is a problem, it’s better to take care of it early. The longer you wait, the worse the problem will get. And the more it will cost you in some form or fashion.
Similar to the leak in my yard, there are often leaks in our lives that need to be tended to, filled because we are leaking emotionally. This leaves us drained, unhappy and unpresentable. Like the yard, when you have emotional holes in your lives, you can hide them for a while, but eventually what’s inside will come out. Everyone will be able to see that you’re leaking.
This same concept can be applied to lies, secrets and deception. Eventually, what is hidden must be exposed. If you ate too much in 2011, the bulge in your formerly small stomach will begin to spill over.
Perhaps you had those secret midnight snacks to help comfort you in response to stress. Maybe you’re an emotional eater or drinker. Are you at the point where your actions are finally catching up to you for all to see the truth?
Here’s the good news for the New Year: It always symbolizes new beginnings. The New Year gives us a chance to do the hard work, to pay the cost to repair what needs to be fixed. It may hurt; it may be uncomfortable and inconvenient. But when we put in the hard work to mend that which is broken, we will look better, feel better and live better.
Leaking means you’re losing. Are you tired of it costing you too much? When will you realize you’ve lost enough? Be it life, love or money, none of it is meant to be wasted. It’s 2012, and I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to win. I’m ready to do the hard work for what I want and deserve.
Let’s get it! I’m Deya, and that’s my directive.
I want to hear from you. What’s leaking in your life? And what are you doing to fix it?
Deya “Direct” Smith is a producer on “The Tom Joyner Morning Show” and host of “Girlfriend FM,” as well as “Beyond the Studio” celebrity interviews on BlackAmericaWeb.com. She is also a motivational speaker, actress and social commentator. She can be reached at DeyaDirect@aol.com.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31