Have you ever heard the term used in the media that there’s been a leak? In other words, something was shared or exposed about some public figure in politics, entertainment or law enforcement that they didn’t want to get out. On the “TJMS,” we report and discuss leaks on a daily basis. Leaks are not always negative, but they do mean that something has either gotten out of control, has not been managed in a proper way or has been revealed before the time intended.
Do you have a leak in your life? Are there holes that need to be filled? Is something out of control that’s costing you too much or causing you to lose too much?
I have a nasty leak in my yard. The water is leaking out all over my grass and out into the street. It’s to the point that it’s obvious from where the leak is coming. My neighbors’ yards look normal, and mine looks like a muddy pool. My water bill is extra high, and I just got the plumber’s repair quote, and it’s hurting my feelings. But the bottom line is this leak has to be fixed because I’m paying for water that I’m not using.
One thing is for sure, when there is a problem, it’s better to take care of it early. The longer you wait, the worse the problem will get. And the more it will cost you in some form or fashion.
Similar to the leak in my yard, there are often leaks in our lives that need to be tended to, filled because we are leaking emotionally. This leaves us drained, unhappy and unpresentable. Like the yard, when you have emotional holes in your lives, you can hide them for a while, but eventually what’s inside will come out. Everyone will be able to see that you’re leaking.
This same concept can be applied to lies, secrets and deception. Eventually, what is hidden must be exposed. If you ate too much in 2011, the bulge in your formerly small stomach will begin to spill over.
Perhaps you had those secret midnight snacks to help comfort you in response to stress. Maybe you’re an emotional eater or drinker. Are you at the point where your actions are finally catching up to you for all to see the truth?
Here’s the good news for the New Year: It always symbolizes new beginnings. The New Year gives us a chance to do the hard work, to pay the cost to repair what needs to be fixed. It may hurt; it may be uncomfortable and inconvenient. But when we put in the hard work to mend that which is broken, we will look better, feel better and live better.
Leaking means you’re losing. Are you tired of it costing you too much? When will you realize you’ve lost enough? Be it life, love or money, none of it is meant to be wasted. It’s 2012, and I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to win. I’m ready to do the hard work for what I want and deserve.
Let’s get it! I’m Deya, and that’s my directive.
I want to hear from you. What’s leaking in your life? And what are you doing to fix it?
Deya “Direct” Smith is a producer on “The Tom Joyner Morning Show” and host of “Girlfriend FM,” as well as “Beyond the Studio” celebrity interviews on BlackAmericaWeb.com. She is also a motivational speaker, actress and social commentator. She can be reached at DeyaDirect@aol.com.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25