According to a recent story, more women in New York City are substituting alcohol and prescription meds for weed. And it turns out a lot of these women are moms in need of finding new ways to just to make it through the day.
Now, on the question of whether raising children can sometimes drive you to want to drink vodka from a sippy cup, my hand is up. A missing shoe, a science project or a trip to the ER – depending on what else is going on – can send me careening right over the edge.
But as bad as it can get sometimes, I’m thankful that I’ve never resorted to smoking or drinking.
Click here to hear Nikki Woods’ weekly “What In the Weekend?” report.
Now, before I get a bunch of text messages, that’s not to say my kids haven’t seen me knock back a margarita at Chili’s – I like to call it Adult Lemonade – but that isn’t the point. I’ve found other ways to cope with things (like my eight-year-old allowing a group of kids to bury him up to the neck in the sand), and it doesn’t involve physical violence or anything 100 proof.
Before any of us rush to judgment of these women for partaking in their drug of choice, we should think of what we reach for when the stress gets to us. I’ve revisited a large bag of Lays Barbecue Potato Chips like a crack addict, each time telling myself it was my last trip.
But, like the weed moms, I’m sure, when the good feeling was over, it was over – and there was still laundry to be folded, spelling words to be gone over and an awkward conversation about figuring out the size needed for an athletic cup still pending.
My point is at the end of the day, for another, 10 years – or let my parents tell it, 30 years – your kids will be giving you something to stress out over. Unless a trip to rehab – or in my case, a chip-detox program – is in our future, we all better find out a better way to deal with the curveballs life (or our nine-year-old) throws us.
But then I’ve really got to laugh. We must look like such punks to our moms and grandmothers, who had to do as much as we do or more without a lot of the things modern technology provides to make life easier. I can tell my children to “go Google it” when a tough homework question has us all scratching our heads. My oldest son was part of a third grade study group that would meet online. Certainly eliminated me having to worry about whether or not it was my turn to bring the snack. You can even buy breast milk now.
But whether I’m Skyping with my boys, who are spending the summer 2,000 miles away with their dad, or picking up the poop from the dog they left behind, the key for any busy mama is balance. And that never changes.
My mom made it look easier than it probably was because she wasn’t afraid to say no to us when things began to get overwhelming. Moms like us, who were made to think we can do it all and have at all, are paying the price – and so are our kids. But feeling guilty for tricking them into playing The Quiet Game so that we can conduct a meeting via conference call doesn’t help either.
In the end, we should all try being more honest all around – with our bosses, with our kids, and ourselves. When we face the truth and recognize and accept our weaknesses along with our strengths, we realize saying yes to everything is a recipe for stress, burn out and sometimes self-medication. Suburban moms smoking pot at play dates makes for good headlines, but when you look closer, it’s no cuter than the sister in the ‘hood who has her kids taken away when her drug test comes up dirty.
Motherhood is great, but when we reach our low points, getting high can’t be the answer – certainly not long term, anyway. For me, prayer and meditation, a trip to the gym or some other adult recreation are healthier ways to de-stress. With an Adult Lemonade chaser from time to time!
Nikki Woods is senior producer of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” The author of “Easier Said Than Done,” the Dallas-based Woods is currently working on her second and third novels. You can friend her on Facebook or follow her on Twitter: @nikkiwoods.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30