Ask any real mom what’s going on, and she’ll tell you a lot. And if she’s like the moms I know, she aint lyin’. But as much time as we spend doing work, church, rehearsals, appointments, school, mani-pedis, yoga, et al, we have to make time to nurture, maintain and rejuvenate our relationships with our men. If you’re “squeezing in time” for your significant other, or used to when you had one, this Mama is talking to you.
Nothing taught me more about what men want and need more than having two little boys. Not to minimize their needs or to put them on a child’s level, but it’s clear to me that my when boys become men, many of their basic needs will stay the same. They want to be fed. They want to be hugged. They want to be praised, even when – no, especially when – they seem like they need it least.
Click here to hear Nikki Woods’ “What in the Weekend?” report.
If you watch the latest episode of “Mamas Gone Wild,” you’ll hear moms talking about how, by the time they get home, give their kids dinner, help them with homework and get a moment from themselves, when bed time comes, they no longer have that much to give. That means they’re giving their men the bare minimum, the corner, the leftovers … whatever you want to call it, it isn’t enough. And it’s something we all need to work on. Sometimes it goes beyond not having time to spend with our mates; it’s the attitudes we have when we’re with them. If we’re rolling our eyes, working our necks, complaining about work, griping about the kids and barking out orders to them, that isn’t sexy at all. Sometimes all they want is a smile and a hug.
I can hear some of you already: “What about what I need? I’ve been driving these kids around all day! I’ve been in meetings with my boss all afternoon! I’m the one the teacher calls when the homework we worked on the evening before never makes it to the classroom!” Okay, stop, take a deep breath and exhale. We’ve got a “Mamas Gone Wild” episode coming up just for you in the near future. We hear you, we feel you, we got you … but not today.
Let’s look at our men – our black men in particular. If they’re working, I can almost guarantee that the pressure they get and disrespect they are shown is an issue. If the president of the United States is getting it, just imagine what it’s like at your man’s job. And if he isn’t working OR is under employed and/or making less than you are, that adds a whole other level. “Mamas Gone Wild” guest Kimberly had the word of the week: Emasculate.” If you don’t know what it means, look it up, and then make it a point not to do it. It happens in all kinds of ways that we may not even be aware of too. When you clown him in front of the kids, when you talk about what he hasn’t done instead of what he has done, when you don’t lift him up in more ways then one, you’re insulting him as a man.
Yes, we have a lot of jobs to do, and one of them is to make our men, if they’re making an effort, happy to be at home.
We dig deep in meetings. We dig deep for our kids. We are mothers; we know how to make something out of nothing. So, when it’s almost gone, let’s work our magic and go the extra mile to let our men know they’re appreciated.
Click here for the fifth and latest episode of “Mamas Gone Wild.”
Nikki Woods is senior producer of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” The author of “Easier Said Than Done,” the Dallas-based Woods is currently working on her second and third novels. You can friend her on Facebook or follow her on Twitter: @nikkiwoods.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30