“I’m tired of pretending I’m not a total bitchin’ rock star from Mars.” That is my favorite quote from Charlie Sheen!
Is he delusional? Probably. But even crazy has a point to make that shouldn’t be completely dismissed.
We have laughed, shaken our heads, had plenty of water-cooler discussions and yes, even worried about Charlie Sheen. It is clear to most that Charlie is not well; there’s a lot of pain, mental challenges and possibly drug-induced psychosis.
I am not a mental health expert, but unfortunately, I’ve had the displeasure of watching someone who is brilliantly talented lose everything that really mattered to them because of how drugs impaired their mental health. So while I don’t personally know Charlie Sheen, I’ve seen this story before. And I hope and pray things turn out for him differently.
Having said that, I had a recent impromptu conversation with a colleague about everyday life issues, as well as recent events in the news. She shared how she was reading an article about how we as a people tend to speak negatively about ourselves. For instance, when we look in the mirror, we are more likely to point out our flaws – bad skin, too fat, too skinny, etc. – or when we make mistakes, we’re so hard on ourselves. We may even think things in our heads and within our hearts, such as: “You’re dumb, incompetent, a mean person, a push-over,” etc.
Ironically, what we think and feel on the inside is not necessarily what we project on the outside. Furthermore, we would never let anyone else speak to us in that manner. If they did, we would totally defend ourselves, if not take their head off verbally – or even physically, depending on when you catch us.
Here’s where “embracing your inner Sheen” comes in.
The irony about Charlie Sheen and what he’s been expressing about himself is that he knows his value and refuses to pretend that he’s not special anymore. He has talent that has been capitalized upon, entertaining millions while simultaneously making him and many others rich. What he brought to the table used to work for people, and now that it’s not working for the production that he was a part of, it doesn’t make him any less valuable — at least in his mind.
On a very basic level, doesn’t this ring true for many of us? Are you any less valuable because you got laid off from your job or because your relationship didn’t work out? Aren’t you still you?
Yes, this man is sick, and his indulgence and bad behavior are finally catching up to him, and he’s suffering the consequences. He’s probably having delusions of grandeur, and he’s most likely obnoxiously arrogant and paranoid, to say the least. Nevertheless, even if he is as crazy as a bedbug, everything that he’s said in the midst of this media frenzy is not wrong.
What I like about his quote is that he believes in himself. He refused to let other people define him. And because he believed in himself, he decided to take matters into his own hands, and he changed the game on his terms, at least for a while. The whole country is talking about Charlie Sheen. Why? Because he embraced his “inner Sheen.”
Who’s talking badly about you? Is it the negative voice in your own head? I dare you to become your best PR machine. Tell yourself how great you are for a change. Concentrate on what you do well instead of always criticizing yourself. If you don’t like how you’re being treated at work, in a relationship or even how you look, guess what? Like Charlie, you can change things, do something different. Don’t just lay down and take it. Stand up for yourself. So what if people talk about you? Some things will be good, and some won’t. But at least you’ll be noticed on your terms.
As any black woman knows, we like for our hair to shine. So what do we do? We put “sheen” in it so it can stand out. That’s the concept I want us to embrace – if you dare! Winning!!
Deya “Direct” Smith is a producer on “The Tom Joyner Morning Show,” host of Beyond the Studio and the creator and host of “Girlfriend FM.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30