One of life’s biggest mysteries for me is learning the art of being still.
According to an ancient African proverb, “You cannot see yourself in running water.”
In her book, “Value in the Valley,” author Iyanla Vanzant says, “Only in the stillness of mind and body can we come to ‘know’ what action to take and in which direction we should move.”
But let’s be honest- being still and listening to the quiet voice of God inside of you is hard enough when things are going well. So when things are not going so well, or even worse – when nothing seems to be going right – hearing that voice is like listening for a whisper in a crowded stadium during the Super Bowl.
How do you experience peace when there are a million different thoughts, voices and conversations running through your head all at the same time, and the majority of them are negative? It’s hard to admit that I own that struggle more often than most would think, blaming it on my faith muscle that may have deteriorated under the strain, stress and negativity or using traumatic experiences in my past to give in to what I know is not the truth.
One of the most consoling realities to remember when we are going through any kind of struggle is that we are not alone – and never have been.
In Psalms 46:10, when the scripture says, “Be still and know that I am God,” it is proof that through the ages, because we’re human, we have needed to be reminded to stop and listen to God. And it doesn’t matter how close to or far away from Him we are. Sometimes we get the feeling that people in the public eye who seem to always be smiling and singing his praises have it all together all the time. Yet, like any of us, they go through loss, sickness, addiction, divorce and depression, and because they are often role models, it’s even more difficult for them to know where to go when they’re in trouble.
Who knew that gospel powerhouse Dorinda Clark Cole was on a first-name basis with a pain so deep she almost lost her way – forever?
In a recent talk with her, I learned about her struggle – everything from her suicide attempt to her many successes, personally, spiritually and professionally – and most importantly, the moment she learned to be still.
Click here for our lively interview.
Nikki Woods is senior producer of “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” The author of “Easier Said Than Done,” the Dallas-based Woods is currently working on her second and third novels. You can friend her on Facebook or follow her on Twitter: @nikkiwoods.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25