It’s that time of the year when most of us become ultra conscious of all the things we have been doing wrong in our lives and vow to fix them beginning January 1st – or January 15th depending on whether or not your resolution involves procrastination. Some of us will try to be more punctual; some will try to quit smoking. Most will strive to lose weight or get into better shape. Even though most churches don’t buy into setting New Year’s resolutions for their parishioners, many ushered in 2011 with prayers of more healthful, prosperous and productive year. I know of many congregations that implement a church-wide fast that kicks off in January … for a nice cleansing of the body and soul.
This is also the time of year where we see the best and worst lists. One list that circulated a couple of weeks ago was the most irritating word or phrase of 2010. “Whatever” topped the list, with “like,” and “you know what I mean” coming in second and third. Added from an informal poll around our office were “really?” “hello!” and “it’s all good.”
Trust me, I get annoyed as much as most people when I hear someone use the word “like” 10 times in one sentence, “I was like … and he was like, and then, I’m like!” Seriously? (And that’s getting old too.)
But the words that I’d like to most shed from our vocabulary as we start a new year are those that speak negativity in my life and the lives of others. It’s surprising how often we say things subconsciously that have an impact on how we think, act or feel. And we do it to others too. If you think back to your childhood, you can probably think of some words used about you or someone you love that have been difficult to shake, even into adulthood. “Ugly, stupid, nappy, black, fat” are just a few that typically come up when negative words are discussed.
Don’t get me wrong; I’m a writer, and I love words. I’m totally enamored with how the same group of words can be put together by five different people and mean five entirely different things.
Now, while I don’t think there are any “bad” words, I do know that words have power, and we can use them for good or evil. Okay, maybe that’s being a little dramatic, but the truth of the matter is words can motivate, and words can disintegrate – not only other people’s dreams, but your own. The church even teaches that God has given you the ability to speak life and death into your situation and circumstance; for the Bible says that there is life and death in the power of the tongue.
The words “ugly, stupid, nappy, black and fat” are the most obvious ones that we use, but what about the more subtle ones: “Can’t, won’t and don’t.” Of course, we all have limitations that require us to say what we can’t, won’t or don’t do. But sometimes we use these words to shield us or excuse ourselves from tasks or opportunities that await us. And sometimes we use them to keep us from forgiving and moving forward.
Words create our reality, and every negative one – spoken or not – draws a like experience. Instead of listing the things that you or someone else can’t or shouldn’t do, make a list of things that can and should be done, and watch the ripple effect the positivity has in your life.
The reality is we can find the time to work out and take better care of our bodies; we will meet new people and find better employment if we make the effort to get out of our comfort zones, and we certainly do have the power to forgive.
Ask your friends and loved ones to help you be accountable. Tell them you want to eliminate negative words and actions that hinder you, and I promise, they’ll remind you when you fall short. They’ll do it because they care about you and, more importantly, because you’re a lot more fun to be around when you’re speaking positivity, energy and light into your life – and theirs too.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30