It’s that time of the year when most of us become ultra conscious of all the things we have been doing wrong in our lives and vow to fix them beginning January 1st – or January 15th depending on whether or not your resolution involves procrastination. Some of us will try to be more punctual; some will try to quit smoking. Most will strive to lose weight or get into better shape. Even though most churches don’t buy into setting New Year’s resolutions for their parishioners, many ushered in 2011 with prayers of more healthful, prosperous and productive year. I know of many congregations that implement a church-wide fast that kicks off in January … for a nice cleansing of the body and soul.
This is also the time of year where we see the best and worst lists. One list that circulated a couple of weeks ago was the most irritating word or phrase of 2010. “Whatever” topped the list, with “like,” and “you know what I mean” coming in second and third. Added from an informal poll around our office were “really?” “hello!” and “it’s all good.”
Trust me, I get annoyed as much as most people when I hear someone use the word “like” 10 times in one sentence, “I was like … and he was like, and then, I’m like!” Seriously? (And that’s getting old too.)
But the words that I’d like to most shed from our vocabulary as we start a new year are those that speak negativity in my life and the lives of others. It’s surprising how often we say things subconsciously that have an impact on how we think, act or feel. And we do it to others too. If you think back to your childhood, you can probably think of some words used about you or someone you love that have been difficult to shake, even into adulthood. “Ugly, stupid, nappy, black, fat” are just a few that typically come up when negative words are discussed.
Don’t get me wrong; I’m a writer, and I love words. I’m totally enamored with how the same group of words can be put together by five different people and mean five entirely different things.
Now, while I don’t think there are any “bad” words, I do know that words have power, and we can use them for good or evil. Okay, maybe that’s being a little dramatic, but the truth of the matter is words can motivate, and words can disintegrate – not only other people’s dreams, but your own. The church even teaches that God has given you the ability to speak life and death into your situation and circumstance; for the Bible says that there is life and death in the power of the tongue.
The words “ugly, stupid, nappy, black and fat” are the most obvious ones that we use, but what about the more subtle ones: “Can’t, won’t and don’t.” Of course, we all have limitations that require us to say what we can’t, won’t or don’t do. But sometimes we use these words to shield us or excuse ourselves from tasks or opportunities that await us. And sometimes we use them to keep us from forgiving and moving forward.
Words create our reality, and every negative one – spoken or not – draws a like experience. Instead of listing the things that you or someone else can’t or shouldn’t do, make a list of things that can and should be done, and watch the ripple effect the positivity has in your life.
The reality is we can find the time to work out and take better care of our bodies; we will meet new people and find better employment if we make the effort to get out of our comfort zones, and we certainly do have the power to forgive.
Ask your friends and loved ones to help you be accountable. Tell them you want to eliminate negative words and actions that hinder you, and I promise, they’ll remind you when you fall short. They’ll do it because they care about you and, more importantly, because you’re a lot more fun to be around when you’re speaking positivity, energy and light into your life – and theirs too.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31