Los Angeles Angels outfielder, Torii Hunter, a 13-year veteran and winner of nine consecutive Gold Glove awards, has taken a leave of absence from the team to deal with his son’s arrest in Prosper, Texas, a suburb of Dallas.
Hunter’s 17-year-old son, Darius McClinton-Hunter of McKinney, Texas, was arrested in Prosper when police came into his high school and took him, 17-year-old Garrick White and three juveniles away and charged them with second-degree felony sexual assault of a child. According to his attorney, Todd Shapiro, McClinton-Hunter was arraigned, pleaded not guilty and posted $15,000 bond last Monday. No court date has been set.
The Angels organization has not commented on the situation although several players have offered support but are unwilling to comment without knowing any of the facts. On Monday, Torii tweeted, “This is very tough for a father. Thanks for ur prayers and support. Be Blessed everyone!”
The arrests come at the end of a months-long investigation according to prosecutors who allege that McClinton-Hunter was a member of a group that drugged girls and had sex with them. The boys in the group called themselves Team Snapback and one of them is accused of dragging a girl into a closet where McClinton-Hunter forced her to have oral sex.
“We were stunned by these accusations, disappointed by the way it was handled, but completely confident that the facts will prove Darius is innocent,” Shapiro said. “He, as well as his family, looks (sic) forward to the opportunity to clear his name at the appropriate time.”
Team Snapback has been described by local parents and students as a group of “hard-partying” teens, mostly the popular kids and football players, and is known for big parties. Others are apparently afraid to cross them.
“Prosper is such a football school that when you’re a great athlete in football you do run the school and the town,” Prosper High School senior, Chandler Point, told KDAF TV in Dallas.
McClinton-Hunter is a junior wide receiver at Prosper who is being recruited by big college programs including Oklahoma, Texas Tech and West Virginia among others. At this point, it is unclear whether any of those schools will withdraw their scholarship offers because of the accusations against Darius.
McClinton-Hunter’s mother, LanikaMcClinton, was also arrested Monday morning while taking her son to school. She was charged with driving without a valid license.
Torii has two other sons, Torii Hunter Jr. and Monshadrik Hunter, who played for Prosper last season.
Hunter is a four-time All-Star and is hitting .256 with five homers and 15 RBI this season. He is one of the few Black Major League Baseball players that is willing to speak publicly about the lack of Black players in the Majors. According to the University of Central Florida’s Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sports, Black players made up 10.2 percent of major leaguers in 2008. That is the highest that number has been since 1995.
One year ago, Torii made headlines and upset the Latino community when in a USA Today roundtable discussion about baseball, he referred to Latino players as “imposters” when the subject of the lack of Black players came up.
“People see dark faces out there, and the perception is that they’re African-American,” he said. “They’re not us. They’re impostors. Even people I know come up and say: ‘Hey, what color is Vladimir Guerrero? Is he a black player?’ I say, ‘Come on, he’s Dominican. He’s not Black.’
“As African-American players, we have a theory that baseball can go get an imitator and pass them off as us. It’s like they had to get some kind of dark faces, so they go to the Dominican or Venezuela because you can get them cheaper. It’s like, ‘Why should I get this kid from the South Side of Chicago and have Scott Boras represent him and pay him $5 million when you can get a Dominican guy for a bag of chips?’ … I’m telling you, it’s sad.”
I’m sure his son’s arrest is sad, too.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30