Los Angeles Angels outfielder, Torii Hunter, a 13-year veteran and winner of nine consecutive Gold Glove awards, has taken a leave of absence from the team to deal with his son’s arrest in Prosper, Texas, a suburb of Dallas.
Hunter’s 17-year-old son, Darius McClinton-Hunter of McKinney, Texas, was arrested in Prosper when police came into his high school and took him, 17-year-old Garrick White and three juveniles away and charged them with second-degree felony sexual assault of a child. According to his attorney, Todd Shapiro, McClinton-Hunter was arraigned, pleaded not guilty and posted $15,000 bond last Monday. No court date has been set.
The Angels organization has not commented on the situation although several players have offered support but are unwilling to comment without knowing any of the facts. On Monday, Torii tweeted, “This is very tough for a father. Thanks for ur prayers and support. Be Blessed everyone!”
The arrests come at the end of a months-long investigation according to prosecutors who allege that McClinton-Hunter was a member of a group that drugged girls and had sex with them. The boys in the group called themselves Team Snapback and one of them is accused of dragging a girl into a closet where McClinton-Hunter forced her to have oral sex.
“We were stunned by these accusations, disappointed by the way it was handled, but completely confident that the facts will prove Darius is innocent,” Shapiro said. “He, as well as his family, looks (sic) forward to the opportunity to clear his name at the appropriate time.”
Team Snapback has been described by local parents and students as a group of “hard-partying” teens, mostly the popular kids and football players, and is known for big parties. Others are apparently afraid to cross them.
“Prosper is such a football school that when you’re a great athlete in football you do run the school and the town,” Prosper High School senior, Chandler Point, told KDAF TV in Dallas.
McClinton-Hunter is a junior wide receiver at Prosper who is being recruited by big college programs including Oklahoma, Texas Tech and West Virginia among others. At this point, it is unclear whether any of those schools will withdraw their scholarship offers because of the accusations against Darius.
McClinton-Hunter’s mother, LanikaMcClinton, was also arrested Monday morning while taking her son to school. She was charged with driving without a valid license.
Torii has two other sons, Torii Hunter Jr. and Monshadrik Hunter, who played for Prosper last season.
Hunter is a four-time All-Star and is hitting .256 with five homers and 15 RBI this season. He is one of the few Black Major League Baseball players that is willing to speak publicly about the lack of Black players in the Majors. According to the University of Central Florida’s Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sports, Black players made up 10.2 percent of major leaguers in 2008. That is the highest that number has been since 1995.
One year ago, Torii made headlines and upset the Latino community when in a USA Today roundtable discussion about baseball, he referred to Latino players as “imposters” when the subject of the lack of Black players came up.
“People see dark faces out there, and the perception is that they’re African-American,” he said. “They’re not us. They’re impostors. Even people I know come up and say: ‘Hey, what color is Vladimir Guerrero? Is he a black player?’ I say, ‘Come on, he’s Dominican. He’s not Black.’
“As African-American players, we have a theory that baseball can go get an imitator and pass them off as us. It’s like they had to get some kind of dark faces, so they go to the Dominican or Venezuela because you can get them cheaper. It’s like, ‘Why should I get this kid from the South Side of Chicago and have Scott Boras represent him and pay him $5 million when you can get a Dominican guy for a bag of chips?’ … I’m telling you, it’s sad.”
I’m sure his son’s arrest is sad, too.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31