I feel sorry for these 30 black children.
The unsuspecting kids I’m referring to were fathered by an idiot named Desmond Hatchett, who holds the record for having the most kids in the Knox County Juvenile Child Support Court: Thirty children by 11 different women.
What a dubious distinction.
“I had four kids in the same year. Twice.” Hatchett, 33, shamelessly told reporters.
The children range in age from toddlers to 14 years old and since Hatchett only has a minimum wage job, that means some of Hatchett’s “baby mamas” receive as little as $1.49 a month.
Hatchett, who was jailed in 2009 for not paying child support, is now pleading for help. It’s a little late in the game, but Hatchett is saying he can’t afford the $309-a-month child support payments that some of the women are owed.
He’s more than just a knucklehead; Hatchett is a detriment to the African-American community, a reckless man with no moral compass, and the worst excuse for a father.
Hatchett’s problems are not just financial. It’s bad enough that he can’t provide for his 30 children, but these kids desperately need a father in their lives and Hatchett can’t begin to be the caring dad these children deserve.
It also doesn’t make sense for the court to keep locking Hatchett up because he needs to be forced to work to pay for his children. Three years ago, Hatchett brought $400 to the court to split between the 11 mothers of his kids. The money barely covered the cost for one child.
So what becomes of these kids? The court can’t order Hatchett to stop having children. They can’t give him a check to care for his kids. And they can’t make him wear condoms.
And what about the mothers of Hatchett’s children? Did they know each other? Surely they should shoulder some of the responsibility, too. There’s enough blame to go around – and severe consequences for their actions.
Today, one in five U.S. kids are living in poverty, according to government studies – and for children of color, the situation is even more dire: more than one in three black kids—36 percent of black youth—live in poverty. Hatchett is senseless and selfish: he’s not giving his kids a fighting chance to be successful in a challenging and competitive world.
More than 24 million children in America are growing up without fathers and the statistics, according to the National Fatherhood Initiative, are daunting:
-Children in father-absent homes are five times more likely to be poor –A child with a nonresident father is 54 percent more likely to be poorer than his or her father.
-Children who live apart from their fathers are more likely to be diagnosed with asthma and experience an asthma-related emergency even after taking into account demographic and socioeconomic conditions.
-Adolescents, particularly boys, in single-parent families were at higher risk of status, property and person delinquencies.
There’s a troubling culture among young black men in America that needs to change. Several years ago, I saw a young man in D.C. proudly wearing a t-shirt that read: “The Baby Maker.”
That’s a tragedy.
As we approach Father’s Day next month, I’m reminded of President Barack Obama’s challenge for men – and black men in particular.
“We need fathers to step up to realize that their job does not end at conception; that what makes you a man is not the ability to have a child but the courage to raise one,” Obama said last year.
It’s a shame that Desmond Hatchett didn’t have the good sense to embrace Obama as a role model because he’s leaving a legacy of dysfunction and putting a generation of black children in harm’s way.
All 30 of them.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31