I feel sorry for these 30 black children.
The unsuspecting kids I’m referring to were fathered by an idiot named Desmond Hatchett, who holds the record for having the most kids in the Knox County Juvenile Child Support Court: Thirty children by 11 different women.
What a dubious distinction.
“I had four kids in the same year. Twice.” Hatchett, 33, shamelessly told reporters.
The children range in age from toddlers to 14 years old and since Hatchett only has a minimum wage job, that means some of Hatchett’s “baby mamas” receive as little as $1.49 a month.
Hatchett, who was jailed in 2009 for not paying child support, is now pleading for help. It’s a little late in the game, but Hatchett is saying he can’t afford the $309-a-month child support payments that some of the women are owed.
He’s more than just a knucklehead; Hatchett is a detriment to the African-American community, a reckless man with no moral compass, and the worst excuse for a father.
Hatchett’s problems are not just financial. It’s bad enough that he can’t provide for his 30 children, but these kids desperately need a father in their lives and Hatchett can’t begin to be the caring dad these children deserve.
It also doesn’t make sense for the court to keep locking Hatchett up because he needs to be forced to work to pay for his children. Three years ago, Hatchett brought $400 to the court to split between the 11 mothers of his kids. The money barely covered the cost for one child.
So what becomes of these kids? The court can’t order Hatchett to stop having children. They can’t give him a check to care for his kids. And they can’t make him wear condoms.
And what about the mothers of Hatchett’s children? Did they know each other? Surely they should shoulder some of the responsibility, too. There’s enough blame to go around – and severe consequences for their actions.
Today, one in five U.S. kids are living in poverty, according to government studies – and for children of color, the situation is even more dire: more than one in three black kids—36 percent of black youth—live in poverty. Hatchett is senseless and selfish: he’s not giving his kids a fighting chance to be successful in a challenging and competitive world.
More than 24 million children in America are growing up without fathers and the statistics, according to the National Fatherhood Initiative, are daunting:
-Children in father-absent homes are five times more likely to be poor –A child with a nonresident father is 54 percent more likely to be poorer than his or her father.
-Children who live apart from their fathers are more likely to be diagnosed with asthma and experience an asthma-related emergency even after taking into account demographic and socioeconomic conditions.
-Adolescents, particularly boys, in single-parent families were at higher risk of status, property and person delinquencies.
There’s a troubling culture among young black men in America that needs to change. Several years ago, I saw a young man in D.C. proudly wearing a t-shirt that read: “The Baby Maker.”
That’s a tragedy.
As we approach Father’s Day next month, I’m reminded of President Barack Obama’s challenge for men – and black men in particular.
“We need fathers to step up to realize that their job does not end at conception; that what makes you a man is not the ability to have a child but the courage to raise one,” Obama said last year.
It’s a shame that Desmond Hatchett didn’t have the good sense to embrace Obama as a role model because he’s leaving a legacy of dysfunction and putting a generation of black children in harm’s way.
All 30 of them.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30