Reverend Al Sharpton defended President Obama’s recent stance on gay marriage on the Tom Joyner Morning Show recently. The outspoken reverend may have surprised a few people with his stark defense of Obama’s views. Sharpton believes there is hypocrisy brewing around the topic of gay marriage and as a country, we are basing our opinions of Obama on one aspect of his campaign.
Sharpton urges us to reevaluate our own views and remember that the 2012 election is not simply about gay marriage, but other issues that affect our community like healthcare, jobs, etc. One opinion should not dictate how we choose to vote this election, says Sharpton.
Read the transcript of Reverend Al Sharpton on the Tom Joyner Morning Show below.
On the same-sex marriage opinion given by the president there’s been a lot of opinions on both sides. I have said from the beginning this is a civil rights issue, not a religious issue and those that are trying to make it a religious issue I think have not answered some very hard questions. If we guide government by the religion that we believe then what religion is that going to be? We have a thousand different denominations in the Christian church, so according to whose understanding are we going to start doing law. The fact of the matter is that people who don’t believe in God at all get married. Marriage is sacred to those of us that believe. But what about atheist that goes to the court to get married? We don’t make it against the law for them to do it. And when we get a divorce, you just finished talking about Deion Sanders; we don’t go to the pastor to get a divorce we go to the judge. So let’s stop acting as if people don’t have the right not to believe as we do. Do I agree with people who don’t believe as I do – no. But they have a right to disagree with me.
The president gave an opinion. He said in his opinion that people should have that right. He did not propose a law. He did not pass a law. What is hypocritical to me is that nine states including Maryland recently and New York they made same-sex marriage a law where they can do it. None of these people said that they would stop voting for those governors. Nobody said anything about those governors and those laws. They waited until to the president gave an opinion – not a law.
So let me get this right – if there is an opinion by the president you’re not going to vote for him so they can now appoint to the Supreme Court, they can take care of healthcare, they can take care of the economy, they can deal with your voter rights all of that because of some people you disagree with are getting married downtown. But you didn’t take that position at home with your governor. They call it hypocrisy; they call it talking out the both sides of your mouth.
My colleagues in the ministry some of them have sinned against their own flock and we said pray for them. The president gives an opinion and we throw him into eternal damnation. I don’t agree with that.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30