This week, I’m going to talk about a subject most of us try to avoid: death.
Now before everyone starts groaning, allow me to explain. There were two fascinating stories in the news this past week involving death that you may have heard about.
First, there was the man in Luxor, Egypt pronounced dead at the hospital after suffering a heart attack. Keeping with Islamic tradition, the family brought the body home from the hospital and began preparing it for the funeral, when the man suddenly woke up.
His mother fainted… then they all celebrated.
And in England, there is a tragic yet inspiring story emerging in book form (and soon to be made into a movie) about a now-deceased mother who, upon learning she was dying from cancer, decided to dictate a list of things she wanted to happen after she took her last breath.
The lengthy list included items for her husband and children to do like travel to the pyramids, swim in the Red Sea, and a bunch of other thrilling activities. The family has already accomplished a number of these tasks and is determined to do them all. Beautiful.
I bring both of these death experiences up today because, if you consider them together, they actually say a lot about life and our perspective on it.
On one side, you have a man who has been granted the ultimate second chance at life, a chance to live again, to love again, even to correct things he may not have gotten right previously; an amazing opportunity.
On the other hand, you have a woman knowing that her life will soon be over using her remaining days to ensure that her family will live their lives to the fullest after she’s gone.
You see, both stories–fascinating and poignant as they are in their own ways–are relevant to all of us in that they are actually not about death at all. They are about life, for all of its wonder and opportunity.
We sometimes get in a rut where we feel our lives are not going anywhere and our problems are consuming us. But it really comes down to how we choose to look at life.
And I did say choose because no matter what we’re going through we can choose to focus on the negative or the positive, one obvious example is that brother, J.R. Martinez, from Dancing with the Stars who was disfigured while serving in Iraq. Look at how he’s moved on with his life, enjoying every day, focusing on the positive, living his dream.
So we should recognize, just like the Egyptian man who came back to life, that we have the opportunity from this day forward to pursue the life we really want, to change ourselves, to impact our world.
And if we can lay out all of the things we truly wish to do, see and accomplish on this earth today, then we have a shot at actually enjoying them with our loved ones, an opportunity that the English mother didn’t fully get.
The real point being that we should not have to come face to face with death before we recognize how precious and valuable our lives truly are and once we recognize this value, we’ll have little time to focus on death since our days will be so full of living.
Or as the great American writer, Mark Twain, once said:
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. One who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30