The Obama campaign unleashed a three-pronged attack against Mitt Romney Monday with a biting television ad, a new video and a website that criticizes Romney’s business acumen while questioning whether Romney is capable of overseeing the nation’s economy.
The campaign released a six-minute video featuring the story of GST Steel, which was purchased by Romney and shut down after more than 100 years of business. After buying the company under the corporate name Bain Capital, Romney and his partners saddled it with debt, closed the Kansas City plant and left with a healthy profit, leaving 750 employees out of work with their pensions in jeopardy, according to the Obama campaign.
A two-minute ad about GST Steel will run in Iowa, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia and Colorado – all battleground states.
“They made as much money off it as they could,” says Dale Soptic, a steelworker for 30 years who appears in the video. “They closed it down, they filed for bankruptcy without any concern for the families or communities.”
Steelworkers like Soptic who are featured in the ad say Romney’s record as Bain’s chief executive shows that Romney does not have the compassion to run the country.
“He’s running for president, and if he’s going to run the country like he ran our business, I don’t want him there,” Soptic says in the television spot. “He would be so out of touch with average people in this country. How could you care, how could you care for the average working person if you feel that way?”
Another steelworker, Jack Cobb, said Bain was like a “vampire.”
“They came in and sucked the life out of us,” Wiseman said. “It was like watching an old friend bleed to death.”
The Obama campaign says the video will be featured on RomneyEconomics.com, a new website that allows voters “to learn the real story” of Romney’s business record.
The new Obama campaign assault comes as polls show that Romney, the GOP presidential opponent, is running neck-and-neck with Obama on the economy.
Even Romney’s former business partner said Romney was only interested in making money and putting profits over people.
“I never thought of what I do for a living as job creation,” Marc B. Walpow, former managing partner at Bain Capital who worked closely with Romney for nine years, told The Los Angeles Times last year. “The primary goal of private equity is to create wealth for your investors.”
But Romney’s campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul said Romney would “welcome the Obama campaign’s attempt to pivot back to jobs and a discussion of their failed record. Mitt Romney helped create more jobs in his private sector experience and more jobs as Governor of Massachusetts than President Obama has for the entire nation.”
In a conference call with journalists on Monday, Obama campaign spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter said Romney, while running Bain, was only concerned only about “creating wealth and not creating jobs.” She said Romney and his partners “walked away with millions and left workers with nothing.”
Although Romney left Bain two years before the company went bankrupt, Cutter said Romney laid the groundwork for Bain’s demise.
“He set this in motion,” Cutter said. “It was his structure that was put in place, and he still is- was listed at this time as either the CEO or President of the company, was still making profits off this deal, and continues to profit off of Bain Capital today.”
During the conference call, Soptic said Bain “cut corners to cut costs,” adding that he had to “fight” Bain to get earplugs, safety glasses and respirators to keep workers safe. Soptic said under Bain, workers risked their lives 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. “It was a sweatshop for eight years,” he said.
Meanwhile, Walpow, who does not support Romney for president, explained Romney’s greedy business strategy.
“They’re whitewashing his career now,” Wolpow told The Los Angeles Times. “We had a scheme where the rich got richer. I did it, and I feel good about it. But I’m not planning to run for office.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30