It is well known folly to raise politics, religion or race unless you are cruising for a fight.
Yet, the president of the United States has managed to serve up a concoction of all three by virtue of his recent pronouncement that he believes gay couples have a right to marry.
I’m not sure what political calculations transpired to lead both Vice President Biden and President Obama to issue their endorsements of one of the country’s most controversial propositions now – after all, the gay constituency is not exactly a swing vote — but you can bet there was some heavy duty adding and subtracting going on in the West Wing just days before they gave the thumbs up.
Previously, President Obama had said he approved only of civil unions between gay people. I would hate to think that, all along, he really supported gay marriage and held back that ultimate approval like a trump card, to be played with strategic timing and for effect. But, that’s politics for you; it’s all about what’s best for the politician, not necessarily for the masses.
On the other hand, Mr. Obama may have simply evolved. Graduated in his thinking.Progressed in his philosophy. Still, why now?
Whatever may have occurred in the White House war room, this much is for sure: They sho’ nuff started something. Especially in black houses of worship.
A good number of black ministers have denounced the president’s position, declaring it in conflict with the Bible, wherein God is said to condemn homosexual relations as an “abomination.”
It sometimes makes you wonder if some of the Christian clergy have read both parts of the Bible. The “abomination” passage comes from the Old Testament, the annals of Jewish law and prophecy aimed at getting people to behave so that the Messiah would come. Notably, the New Testament, which chronicles the life of Jesus Christ and the infancy of Christianity, makes no mention of such relationships and underscores God’s grace, mercy, forgiveness and accessibility to all.
No wonder that there are countless people who are conflicted over this matter – maybe because they have gay friends, co-workers or relatives; maybe because they are, themselves, secretly gay; maybe because they simply cannot make sense of despising or discriminating against someone who is only asking to be who he or she is.
Yet, some ministers – Atlanta’s Eddie Long and Bernice King prominent among them – exacerbate the conflict by preaching hellfire and brimstone, carrying on about the wrath of God, as if there aren’t a host of other things that might draw the Almighty’s ire.
I have no patience for that kind of ministerial guidance, which does nothing to enlighten the strivers, but only insists on their lemming-like consent.No need to open a mouth against a closed mind.
I would, however, like to hear them explain where there’s anything in the Good Book that tells me I should do unto others as I would hate for others to do unto me.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30