It is well known folly to raise politics, religion or race unless you are cruising for a fight.
Yet, the president of the United States has managed to serve up a concoction of all three by virtue of his recent pronouncement that he believes gay couples have a right to marry.
I’m not sure what political calculations transpired to lead both Vice President Biden and President Obama to issue their endorsements of one of the country’s most controversial propositions now – after all, the gay constituency is not exactly a swing vote — but you can bet there was some heavy duty adding and subtracting going on in the West Wing just days before they gave the thumbs up.
Previously, President Obama had said he approved only of civil unions between gay people. I would hate to think that, all along, he really supported gay marriage and held back that ultimate approval like a trump card, to be played with strategic timing and for effect. But, that’s politics for you; it’s all about what’s best for the politician, not necessarily for the masses.
On the other hand, Mr. Obama may have simply evolved. Graduated in his thinking.Progressed in his philosophy. Still, why now?
Whatever may have occurred in the White House war room, this much is for sure: They sho’ nuff started something. Especially in black houses of worship.
A good number of black ministers have denounced the president’s position, declaring it in conflict with the Bible, wherein God is said to condemn homosexual relations as an “abomination.”
It sometimes makes you wonder if some of the Christian clergy have read both parts of the Bible. The “abomination” passage comes from the Old Testament, the annals of Jewish law and prophecy aimed at getting people to behave so that the Messiah would come. Notably, the New Testament, which chronicles the life of Jesus Christ and the infancy of Christianity, makes no mention of such relationships and underscores God’s grace, mercy, forgiveness and accessibility to all.
No wonder that there are countless people who are conflicted over this matter – maybe because they have gay friends, co-workers or relatives; maybe because they are, themselves, secretly gay; maybe because they simply cannot make sense of despising or discriminating against someone who is only asking to be who he or she is.
Yet, some ministers – Atlanta’s Eddie Long and Bernice King prominent among them – exacerbate the conflict by preaching hellfire and brimstone, carrying on about the wrath of God, as if there aren’t a host of other things that might draw the Almighty’s ire.
I have no patience for that kind of ministerial guidance, which does nothing to enlighten the strivers, but only insists on their lemming-like consent.No need to open a mouth against a closed mind.
I would, however, like to hear them explain where there’s anything in the Good Book that tells me I should do unto others as I would hate for others to do unto me.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31