The Tom Joyner Foundation’s first Full Ride Scholar, Britney Wilson of Brooklyn, New York, is graduating Saturday with the highest honors from Howard University.
The native of Brooklyn, New York, Wilson is a member of Phi Beta Kappa, Gamma of Washington, DC, is majoring in English, and heading law school in the fall. She maintained a perfect 4.0 grade point average during her time at Howard University in Washington, D.C. and distinguished herself with many accomplishments.
“Words cannot express how grateful I am for what the Foundation has provided me,” Wilson said in an interview aired on the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “I’m on my way to law school in the fall and this journey would not have been possible without you guys.”
During her years at Howard, Wilson became a conscientious scholar and active in all facets of the community. She has been president of the campus’ Sterling Brown English Society, a columnist and opinions editor at “The Hilltop Newspaper,’ and was a 1st place winner in the undergraduate division of the S. Randolph Edmonds Young Scholars Competition where she presented a paper entitled, “Every Woman in No Man’s Land: Triumphs of the Modern Black Woman at the Expense of the Black Male Character in the Works of Lynn Nottage”. She also is a former columnist for The Hilltop, the university’s campus newspaper, and worked diligently to advocate the rights for physically challenged students on campus.
“I’m a black female and disabled, and I take my representation as all three groups very seriously,” Wilson said. “You just have to know that you can do anything you can put your mind to. For everyone out there who want to help other black scholars attend other HBCUs, support the Tom Joyner Foundation to continue its legacy of helping talented youth attend HBCUS.”
The Foundation, founded and led by nationally syndicated media personality and philanthropist Tom Joyner, chose Wilson in 2008 as its first winner of a “Full Ride Scholarship” that has covered her full tuition and stipends for room and board (on-campus only) and books.
The Foundation’s Full Ride Scholarship program chose Wilson in 2008 because of her outstanding academic record and her desire to attend a Historically Black College or University (HBCU). The Cathedral High School (New York) graduate maintained a 4.0 GPA and excelled in many areas. When chosen as the first Full Ride Scholar, the panel of judges said they were impressed with Wilson’s innate intellect that revealed her ability to discuss Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice’s foreign policy strategy and in the next sentence discuss the differences between East and West
Coast rap music.
Interested in studying law and politics, Wilson has had a distinguished high school career where she has been an active member of the Junior Statesmen Association that led her to spending last summer at Georgetown University. She also is a French and History tutor, a singer in the Gospel for Teen’s Choir and a semi-finalist in the Teen Poetry slam competition that is part of the Urban Word New York City Poets. For at least two hours a week, she is a Teen Health Initiative Peer Educator at the New York Civil Liberties Union.
Founded in 1998, the Tom Joyner Foundation has raised more than $60 million to help keep students enrolled in black colleges. It has assisted more than 21,000 students and worked with more than 100 HBCUs. For more information about the Foundation to TomJoynerFoundation.org.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31