This Sunday, of course, we celebrate the most wonderful human beings on earth—mothers, because, literally, none of us would be here without them.
Mother’s Day is a special day for us to acknowledge the mothers in our lives as well as those mothers who have passed on; their love, their sacrifices, their ongoing influence on us. Our mothers certainly deserve our acknowledgement and our respect.
But what about stepmoms? Yeah, you heard me right. What about those who did not birth us or may not have even known us until a father’s marriage at some point in our lives? Don’t they deserve our acknowledgement and respect too?
There’s a recent article in the Huffington Post discussing how, for stepmoms across the country, Mother’s Day can sometimes be the hardest day of the year, especially for those without biological children of their own.
How would you feel if you fulfilled the role of a mother to a child all year long—raising them, feeding them, nurturing them, caring for them, and even growing to love them—but, then, on the main day of the year set aside to celebrate that role, you are not recognized as the children go off to spend the day celebrating their biological mom?
Of course, they should celebrate their biological mother. But shouldn’t our active stepmothers be recognized and celebrated as well?
And when was the last time you saw the greeting card section stocked with stepmother cards?
Well, apparently this is an issue affecting a lot of folks given that, according to the Pew Research Center’s estimates, there are 14 million stepmoms in the United States.
That’s a lot of stepmoms and I’m sure there could be some hard feelings on Sunday if they’ve spent a good part of the year fulfilling the role of a mother and yet are not being celebrated as one.
That said, the article also talked about how it’s not always realistic for stepmothers to expect stepchildren to treat them as a mother on Mother’s Day given the traditional commitment to spending the day with biological moms and how, in some families, honoring a stepmom might, quote-unquote, “seem like a breach in loyalty to a child’s real mom.”
In many African-American families, needless to say, you might encounter just a few problems if you don’t spend the day paying homage to the one that birthed you, the one not shy about reminding you that she was, in fact, the one that birthed you.
Yeah, you’ll never hear the end of that one. Still, maybe there’s some middle ground where we can acknowledge the contribution of a stepmom on this special day while honoring our biological moms. Maybe before we head out to spend the day with mom, we can give our stepmothers a token of our appreciation, like a flower or a gift that shows that we care for them.
Text us here at 64-64-64 and let us know what you think… Should stepmoms be recognized on Mother’s Day?
I’ll leave you with these words that speak to the opportunity and impact of motherhood, no matter how one may have come to take on this special role. It goes like this:
“There is no way to be a perfect mother, and yet a million ways to be a good one.”
Happy Mother’s Day to my mom, Sheila Hendricks, my mother-in-law, Marsha Sullivan, and to all of the moms and stepmoms out there.
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30