This Sunday, of course, we celebrate the most wonderful human beings on earth—mothers, because, literally, none of us would be here without them.
Mother’s Day is a special day for us to acknowledge the mothers in our lives as well as those mothers who have passed on; their love, their sacrifices, their ongoing influence on us. Our mothers certainly deserve our acknowledgement and our respect.
But what about stepmoms? Yeah, you heard me right. What about those who did not birth us or may not have even known us until a father’s marriage at some point in our lives? Don’t they deserve our acknowledgement and respect too?
There’s a recent article in the Huffington Post discussing how, for stepmoms across the country, Mother’s Day can sometimes be the hardest day of the year, especially for those without biological children of their own.
How would you feel if you fulfilled the role of a mother to a child all year long—raising them, feeding them, nurturing them, caring for them, and even growing to love them—but, then, on the main day of the year set aside to celebrate that role, you are not recognized as the children go off to spend the day celebrating their biological mom?
Of course, they should celebrate their biological mother. But shouldn’t our active stepmothers be recognized and celebrated as well?
And when was the last time you saw the greeting card section stocked with stepmother cards?
Well, apparently this is an issue affecting a lot of folks given that, according to the Pew Research Center’s estimates, there are 14 million stepmoms in the United States.
That’s a lot of stepmoms and I’m sure there could be some hard feelings on Sunday if they’ve spent a good part of the year fulfilling the role of a mother and yet are not being celebrated as one.
That said, the article also talked about how it’s not always realistic for stepmothers to expect stepchildren to treat them as a mother on Mother’s Day given the traditional commitment to spending the day with biological moms and how, in some families, honoring a stepmom might, quote-unquote, “seem like a breach in loyalty to a child’s real mom.”
In many African-American families, needless to say, you might encounter just a few problems if you don’t spend the day paying homage to the one that birthed you, the one not shy about reminding you that she was, in fact, the one that birthed you.
Yeah, you’ll never hear the end of that one. Still, maybe there’s some middle ground where we can acknowledge the contribution of a stepmom on this special day while honoring our biological moms. Maybe before we head out to spend the day with mom, we can give our stepmothers a token of our appreciation, like a flower or a gift that shows that we care for them.
Text us here at 64-64-64 and let us know what you think… Should stepmoms be recognized on Mother’s Day?
I’ll leave you with these words that speak to the opportunity and impact of motherhood, no matter how one may have come to take on this special role. It goes like this:
“There is no way to be a perfect mother, and yet a million ways to be a good one.”
Happy Mother’s Day to my mom, Sheila Hendricks, my mother-in-law, Marsha Sullivan, and to all of the moms and stepmoms out there.
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25