Gary Coleman’s ex-wife wants a judge to award her the child TV star’s estate.
Shannon Price testified Monday in 4th District Court that even though the two divorced in 2008, they kept living together and presented themselves to the public as married until his death May 28, 2010.
The “Diff’rent Strokes” actor was taken off life support after suffering a head injury in a fall at his home, according to a copy of his death certificate in court records. He was 42.
Another woman, Anna Gray, says Coleman named her a beneficiary and executor of his estate in 2005. Gray managed Coleman’s affairs for a number of years and was his ex-girlfriend.
The trial started Monday and was to continue Tuesday.
Gray, representing herself, asked Price why she took her name off the deed to the couple’s house in Santaquin, Utah.
“It was y’all’s home and y’all made the payments, but you thought that Gary should be liable for it?” Gray asked.
Price, 26, said she had to take her name off the deed as a condition of divorce.
Price said she met Colemen on the Utah set of the movie “Church Ball” in 2005. A marriage license says they wed Aug. 28, 2007, at Nevada’s Valley of Fire State Park. They divorced less than a year later under a sealed court order.
It’s not clear how much Coleman’s estate is worth, but court papers mention a $324,000 house and a pension, among other possible assets. Price said they shared bank accounts, and her lawyers say Gary Coleman listed Price as his wife for Social Security benefits as late as 2010.
Coleman’s parents, Willie and Edmonia Coleman, have asserted no claim on his estate, court papers say.
Price’s lawyer, Mitchell Maughan, said the case is more about future rights to Coleman’s name and brand than assets.
“He was not a zillionaire,” Maughan said.
Price said her relationship with Gary Coleman had ups and downs, but “we couldn’t be without each other” even after divorce.
Neighbor Audra Wright however, testified that the marriage was far from perfect, the couple’s house was a mess, and the two kept separate bedrooms.
Wright said Price frequently complained about fights and financial problems.
Once, Price asked, “‘Did you ever see a black guy with a black eye?'” Wright testified. “She called Gary over and said ‘Show her your black eye.'”
Instead of holding hands, Price would grab Coleman by the wrist and pull him along.
“I think that made him look like a child,” Wright said.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25