President Barack Obama’s re-election team plans to spend $25 million on advertising this month, a dramatic escalation of its media presence in a handful of states that could determine the outcome on Nov. 6.
Campaign adviser David Axelrod announced the new figure Monday. He said the campaign intends to provide a positive message about Obama’s candidacy, but will respond to negative ads from Mitt Romney, the all-but-nominated Republican challenger.
In that vein, Obama’s campaign released a new ad Monday portraying America as on the rise and urging voters to stick with the president.
In a shift from many of the campaign’s earlier ads, the latest commercial focuses entirely on promoting Obama’s record and makes no direct attacks on Romney.
Axelrod contrasted their approach to that of former Massachusetts Gov. Romney, who they said has continued a negative strategy he set during the campaign against his Republican rivals.
Still, Axelrod said Obama’s team will respond to criticism forcefully, saying he expects Romney and outside groups that support him to continue pounding at the president and his policies. He referred to two groups, one counseled by former George W. Bush strategist Karl Rove and another founded by billionaire oil industry brothers Charles and David Koch, as the “Karl and Koch brothers contract killers over there in super PAC land.”
“We will treat every ad that comes from those entities as an ad from Gov. Romney and we will compare our record and our vision with his and we’ll let the American people decide,” Axelrod told reporters on a conference call.
The $25 million will ramp up the Obama team’s advertising spending significantly.
The campaign spent about $2 million last week for an ad critical of Romney that aired in a handful of key states, according to a Republican strategist who monitors ad spending. That, by itself, represented an increase in ad spending by Obama’s team. The new figure will increase spending to an average of $6 million a week.
The ad released Monday, with its more uplifting message, underscores the campaign’s recognition that Obama can’t win a second term simply by attacking his opponent. Obama also needs to make the case that, despite continued economic unease, he has made things better for the American people and is the right steward for the economy going forward.
The commercial credits Obama with pulling the economy back from the brink of recession and saving the U.S. automobile industry. It also highlights what the campaign sees as the president’s foreign policy accomplishments, including killing Osama bin Laden and ending the war in Iraq.
In the ad, a narrator says of the U.S. economy: “We’re not there yet, it’s still too hard for too many. But we’re coming back.”
The Romney campaign responded swiftly. “Americans know they’re not better off than they were four years ago,” spokeswoman Amanda Henneberg said. She ticked through areas of the economy where the Romney campaign says Obama has failed, including high gas prices and home foreclosures.
Fresh economic data released last week underscored the economic challenges Obama will have to overcome if he hopes to hold the White House. The economy added just 115,000 jobs in April. While the unemployment rate ticked down to 8.1 percent from 8.2 percent, the decline was largely because more people stopped looking for work. People who are no longer looking for jobs are not counted as unemployed.
The new commercial follows Obama’s back-to-back campaign rallies Saturday in Virginia and Ohio, where the president targeted Romney by name as a protector of the rich who will rubber-stamp the agenda of Republicans in Congress. While Obama’s team dubbed the rallies as the official launch of the president’s campaign, Obama has been in re-election mode for months, headlining campaign fundraisers and holding official White House events in battleground states.
The Obama campaign said the new ad will air in nine politically important states: Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Nevada, New Hampshire, Iowa, North Carolina, Florida and Colorado.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30