Mitt Romney says he learns about what it’s like to struggle in a difficult economy by sitting down to chat with regular people. But the Republican presidential candidate doesn’t want anybody to see it — and his campaign won’t say who he meets with or when the meetings occur.
In interviews and on the campaign trail, Romney regularly says that he learns about the struggling economy by talking to people affected by it. Earlier this week, he said he meets with families “almost every day.” On Friday, Romney said the talks are “off the record” — and that he agrees to keep private the names of the people he meets with.
“Before I begin an event like this, I typically am able to sit down with a few people on an off-the-record kinda basis,” Romney said as he delivered his standard campaign speech Friday in Pittsburgh.
“I agree not to say who they are to the members of my media,” he said, before joking: “My media, I don’t have my media, I wish I had my media. To members of the media.”
That description was slightly different from one he offered on Tuesday.
“So far during my campaigns one of the highlights for me has been sitting down with three or four families almost every day without the camera there,” he said during an interview with CBS News. “Most of them are done privately — that is a wonderful way for me to understand how people are really feeling.”
Aides did not respond to repeated requests for information about the meetings and the participants, including when the meetings take place, who has participated or even which states they are from. Aides also wouldn’t say whether any meetings were held Thursday or Friday, when Romney campaigned in Virginia and Pittsburgh, respectively.
The meetings aren’t listed on Romney’s public schedule.
On Wednesday, a spokesman said Romney had no such private meetings before an appearance that day at a small business in Chantilly, Va.
“Almost every single small business.most every public event that we have, we have these middle-class families do a round-table with the governor,” Romney spokeswoman Gail Gitcho said Wednesday when asked to explain what Romney said in Tuesday’s television interview. “It’s more productive to do it without the cameras. He hears from them about the Obama economy; he hears what their concerns are in the states.”
Romney has held a few round-table events with voters while cameras were present.
He held one with veterans in South Carolina on Veterans Day last year, with housing industry businesspeople in Florida before the primary and with business owners in Nevada before the caucuses. After becoming the presumptive nominee, Romney held a round-table with Hispanic community leaders in Arizona.
He also meets regularly with the owners of the companies who host his campaign events. Almost all of Romney’s stops on the trail are in warehouses or offices of local small businesses.
But instead of keeping these stories secret, he’ll often incorporate them into his campaign speech as sad examples of a suffering economy or to highlight what America’s entrepreneurial economy can do. There’s a struggling barber, for example, who’s putting off retirement. On the other hand, there’s an immigrant who came to the U.S. and founded a company that helps with pioneering spinal surgery. Romney appeared at that company, NuVasive, in southern California in late March.
“I’m amazed by the hard work and the entrepreneurial spirit of the American people,” Romney said Friday.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30