If you’re a betting man or woman, TV insiders say it’s not a good idea to bet against “Scandal” just yet. As TV executives peruse the numbers in the new world of TV ratings (down, but skewed by “delayed viewers” who no longer watch shows live) there’s not a total consensus yet whether “Scandal” will be back. The seven episode mid-season replacement is helped by its “Grey’s Anatomy” lead-in and a growing but vocal fan base that’s loved what they’ve seen in the four episodes that have already aired.
Watch video below.
If you haven’t yet seen the show, “Scandal” stars Kerry Washington as Olivia Pope, a Washington “fixer” who heads a shadowy law firm that does whatever it takes to help clients in trouble. Add a sexy subplot about a philandering President of the United States and his relationship with Pope and each week’s problematic clients and you hopefully have the elements of a hit show.
“Scandal” is based on real-life Washington fixer Judy Smith, who is, like Washington, African-American. Among her clients was NFL star Michael Vick, who needed her assistance in restoring his public image after his dogfighting conviction. Smith is an executive producer on the show, which was created by “Grey’s’ creator Shonda Rhimes, one of television’s highest-ranking African-Americans. Rhimes has another new show in production as well, but “Scandal” fans are hoping her reputation as a hitmaker helps the show stay on the air.
TV website tvbythenumbers.com says that “Scandal” is “likely to be renewed,” but unless ABC jumps the gun, fans of the show are unlikely to know for sure until the networks have their “upfronts” on May 14 when they announce their fall lineups. The fact that “Scandal” has attracted a buzz despite it being one of the few if not the only show to have an African-American female lead can’t hurt. ABC can pat itself on the back for stepping out front on diversity by casting an African-American female lead on a show about a powerful African-American woman created by an African-American woman.
In the meantime, the first season of “Scandal” – the seven episode run – will be out on DVD in a 2-disc set on June 12th. You can pre-order via Amazon.com.
Whether the quick DVD release is a good sign or not we don’t know, but we do know that ABC has been very canny about any show renewals for fall thus far. The network has not officially renewed new and buzzworthy shows like “Revenge” or “Once Upon a Time” or Rhimes’ “Private Practice” or at-risk bubble shows like “GCB” or “Cougar Town.”
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!