Singer, songwriter, vocalist and actor Ne-Yo has one more thing to add to his list of accomplishments: inductee into the Boys & Girls Club of America’s Hall of Fame.
The newly-minted vice president of the soul division of Motown and co-star of “Red Tails,” which will be released on DVD on May 22, was born Shaffer Smith in Arkansas and grew up in Henderson and Las Vegas, Nevada.
He and his sister Nicole, found plenty to keep them occupied at their neighborhood Boys & Girls Club. And the Grammy-winning recording artist has become an active alumnus of the Club. For example, he hosted his nonprofit foundation’s 3rd Annual Giving Tour at the Lied Memorial Boys & Girls Club, personally delivering MP3 players, bicycles, toys, and big hugs, to more than 500 deserving youth at the Club.
He also routinely visits Clubs in different cities when he travels and participates in the Club’s anti-bullying initiative.
In an interview with the Huffington Post, Ne-Yo said the Club in Las Vegas provided him a respite from bullying and healthy male role models.
Ne-Yo began his music career as a songwriter, writing material for Youngstown while still a teenager. His breakthrough hit was Mario’s “Let Me Love You,” in 2004.
One of his more recent collaborations has been with Conor Maynard, a British pop sensation who has been likened to Justin Bieber. It was a YouTube cover of Ne-Yo’s “Beautiful Monster” – which scored 1 million-plus views – that caught the Grammy winner’s attention and persuaded him to invite Maynard to L.A. for some studio work earlier this year.
Ne-Yo also teamed up with Calvin Harris, whose “Let’s Go,” reached number two on the UK singles chart over the weekend.
“Back in the day, Motown was on the pulse of young America. It was pop, it was R&B, all of that,” Ne-Yo told Complex magazine in a recent interview.
“They looked at my career and the artist that I’ve become. I feel like I am one of the few people who draw the line. I could do a record with Jeezy and turn around and do a record with OutKast.
“Not a lot of cats can do that. As far as the new roster, we got a lot of acts that we are really excited to know and get hands-on and make sure that your interests come out right.”
Also being inducted into the Boys & Girls Clubs of America Hall of Fame this week is Misty Copeland, the first African-American female soloist in more than 20 years at American Ballet Theatre.
Copeland, who appeared alongside Ne-Yo, Denzel Washington, Kerry Washington, and Jennifer Lopez last fall in the Boys & Girls Club’s nationally televised PSA, took her first ballet lesson on a basketball court at the Boys & Girls Club in San Pedro, Calif., at the age of 13.
Now, she will make history in June as the first ever African-American ballerina to perform the role of the Firebird at a major mainstream ballet company.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31