Singer, songwriter, vocalist and actor Ne-Yo has one more thing to add to his list of accomplishments: inductee into the Boys & Girls Club of America’s Hall of Fame.
The newly-minted vice president of the soul division of Motown and co-star of “Red Tails,” which will be released on DVD on May 22, was born Shaffer Smith in Arkansas and grew up in Henderson and Las Vegas, Nevada.
He and his sister Nicole, found plenty to keep them occupied at their neighborhood Boys & Girls Club. And the Grammy-winning recording artist has become an active alumnus of the Club. For example, he hosted his nonprofit foundation’s 3rd Annual Giving Tour at the Lied Memorial Boys & Girls Club, personally delivering MP3 players, bicycles, toys, and big hugs, to more than 500 deserving youth at the Club.
He also routinely visits Clubs in different cities when he travels and participates in the Club’s anti-bullying initiative.
In an interview with the Huffington Post, Ne-Yo said the Club in Las Vegas provided him a respite from bullying and healthy male role models.
Ne-Yo began his music career as a songwriter, writing material for Youngstown while still a teenager. His breakthrough hit was Mario’s “Let Me Love You,” in 2004.
One of his more recent collaborations has been with Conor Maynard, a British pop sensation who has been likened to Justin Bieber. It was a YouTube cover of Ne-Yo’s “Beautiful Monster” – which scored 1 million-plus views – that caught the Grammy winner’s attention and persuaded him to invite Maynard to L.A. for some studio work earlier this year.
Ne-Yo also teamed up with Calvin Harris, whose “Let’s Go,” reached number two on the UK singles chart over the weekend.
“Back in the day, Motown was on the pulse of young America. It was pop, it was R&B, all of that,” Ne-Yo told Complex magazine in a recent interview.
“They looked at my career and the artist that I’ve become. I feel like I am one of the few people who draw the line. I could do a record with Jeezy and turn around and do a record with OutKast.
“Not a lot of cats can do that. As far as the new roster, we got a lot of acts that we are really excited to know and get hands-on and make sure that your interests come out right.”
Also being inducted into the Boys & Girls Clubs of America Hall of Fame this week is Misty Copeland, the first African-American female soloist in more than 20 years at American Ballet Theatre.
Copeland, who appeared alongside Ne-Yo, Denzel Washington, Kerry Washington, and Jennifer Lopez last fall in the Boys & Girls Club’s nationally televised PSA, took her first ballet lesson on a basketball court at the Boys & Girls Club in San Pedro, Calif., at the age of 13.
Now, she will make history in June as the first ever African-American ballerina to perform the role of the Firebird at a major mainstream ballet company.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30