Despite the tragedy of losing two of his talented sons, R&B legend Eddie Levert continues to find healing in the music.
This year, the O’Jays lead singer steps out on his own for the first time, releasing “Eddie Levert: I Still Have It.” The first single is the aptly titled “I’m Still Standing” released via iTunes.
“This album is an extension of me as an entertainer,” Levert says. “With all my years in this business, I still love performing. This is my first solo album and I am so excited to share this with my fans.”
But no worries, O’Jays fans. Levert is also recording with the O’Jays for an upcoming CD. Either way you slice it, solo or with his group, Levert is one of our living legends. Read on for more about our latest In-Studio Jam artist.
BORN: Edward Levert in Bessemer, Alabama
BIG BREAK: Moving from Alabama to Canton, OH and going to high school with future O’Jays members Walter Williams, William Powell, Bobby Massey and Bill Isles.
EDUCATION: Levert went to Canton McKinley High School in Canton, OH, which obviously had its share of great singers as he met the four guys who would ultimately comprise the original O’Jays lineup.
BACK STORY: The O’Jays were inspired to sing by Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, a popular doo-wop group led by Lymon who was profiled in the biopic “Why Do Fools Fall in Love?”
RESUME: With Levert’s powerful baritone as the lead, the O’Jays became R&B legends on the strength of classic songs like “I Love Music,” “Stairway to Heaven,” “Backstabbers,” “Love Train” and more during their time on Philadelphia International Records where they worked with Gamble and Huff.
FUN FACTS: The O’Jays got their name from Ohio radio deejay Eddie O’Jay after being called The Triumphs and The Mascots. For the last six years, the O’Jays have hosted a celebrity-studded weekend in their native Canton, OH, with proceeds benefitting students in Ohio.
LATEST WORK: “Eddie Levert: I Still Have It”
ON TWITTER: @EddieLevert
ON MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/therealojays
BEST OF EDDIE LEVERT (Video):
“Wind Beneath My Wings” (with Gerald Levert)
Eddie Levert on “Tavis Smiley”
Eddie Levert on the O’Jays Weekend
“There was gospel, the church, R&B grittiness in our singing, and Gamble and Huff saw that and were able to make that into a record. After they got the O’Jays, their whole thing turned around. As soon as they got us, they got Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes (“If You Don’t Know Me By Now”), Teddy Pendergrass. Their music took a more soulful sound. They were able to go to another level. We brought them back to their roots.” Tampabay.com (2012)
“The music has always been healing. With Gerald and Sean, the times we had together onstage are some of the greatest moments of my life, man. The times that I was onstage with them doing ‘Casanova’ or ‘Baby Hold on to Me’ or ‘Wind Beneath My Wings’ — to me, those are priceless. Even now, when I go and perform those songs by myself, they’re medicine. The most therapeutic time I have in my whole life is that hour and a half that I do onstage. Because for an hour and a half, I don’t think about nothing but the music. Don’t think about the pain in my knees. Don’t think about the pain in my back. Don’t think about how I feel bad. All of that goes away as soon as I start doing that music.” Cleveland.com (2011)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30