After popping up in cameos during the credits of Marvel films as the authoritative, eye-patch-wearing Nick Fury, Samuel L. Jackson steps fully into his role as the head of peacekeeping agency S.H.I.E.L.D. in “The Avengers.”
He assembles the super-crew of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Black Widow, the Incredible Hulk and Hawkeye as part of his “Avengers Initiative” to help fight Thor’s brother, Loki, who threatens to wipe out humanity. The film hits U.S. theaters Friday.
“It’s great to stand there and look around and go OK, these guys are actually here so we do have the Avengers,” Jackson said during a recent interview. “(Director and writer) Joss (Whedon) is so savvy about the genre and how to flesh characters out so it’s not just a set piece fest of stuff blowing up and people chasing each other… There’s sadness, there’s joy, there’s fear, there’s all this stuff that goes into making this film that makes it sort of special, way more special than it could have been.”
Jackson will reprise his character in the next “Captain America” film, which starts shooting in January, but he’s unsure of Nick Fury’s fate beyond that. Could his origin story be in the works?
“I have no idea,” he said. “I had a nine picture deal, I’ve only done five of them, so I guess so. It’s possible.”
The 63-year-old actor took a break from working with Quentin Tarantino on “Django Unchained” to promote “The Avengers.” And while he stayed mum on the project (“It’s another non-disclosure thing”), he said he has no problem shifting gears from Tarantino’s dramatic Western tale to the superhero world.
“It’s like this: When I go to work in the morning, I’m this guy. And when I come out of the makeup trailer and I have a big scar on my face and a patch on my eye and I’ve got a whole goatee, I’m a whole new person. I don’t even have to think about it,” he said. “And when I go to work for Quentin, the same thing happens: I go in the makeup trailer and I come out another guy.
“It’s a whole other mind state … If I’m not sitting there looking in the mirror at my character, I don’t have to worry about it.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31