I often wonder how far some people will to go to get what they want and what rules they’ll follow or break along the way.
Just this past week, I was on BlackAmericaWeb.com reading about that aspiring actress, Racquel Bailey, who rented the billboard near Tyler Perry’s studio in the ATL, basically asking him to let her be “his next leading lady.”
While innovative and bold, some might call this sister’s measures extreme, especially since she spent $1,500 on the ad, which, according to her, pretty much cleared out her bank account.
And although Perry has not yet responded, and may never respond, Bailey was doing what she thought she had to do to ensure her success. Bold move, indeed. And, I wish her much success.
You see, Bailey’s tactics didn’t hurt anyone and they pale in comparison to some other –how should we say– more unscrupulous ways aspiring actresses may choose to land leading roles. And I’m certainly not mad at her.
But what happens when this success-at-all-costs approach takes on a more ominous tone and does hurt people? Look no farther than the current trial of former U.S. Senator and presidential candidate John Edwards, the man many feel could have been president if not for this scandal that derailed his campaign.
I know it feels like a lifetime ago but, if you recall, there actually was a time where even the black community wasn’t that familiar with a longshot presidential candidate named Barack Obama, and when Edwards was a political star thought to be destined for the Oval Office.
Well, President Obama made history and Edwards is on trial, charged with receiving $1 million in illegal campaign contributions to hide his pregnant mistress from the public so he could continue his presidential bid.
What a difference a campaign makes. Edwards has admitted to the affair and fathering a child while his wife was dying from cancer, but he maintains he did not break the law.
Even so, we do know Edwards covered up and lied about the affair and pregnancy, and even had one of his key staffers claim he fathered the child to avoid scandal and continue his campaign.
Whether or not Edwards committed a crime will be up to a jury to decide as the former political star faces up to 30 years in prison. But whatever his fate, he was certainly willing to go pretty far to get what he wanted: the presidency.
However, unlike an aspiring actress plastering her picture across a billboard to secure a role, Edwards’ actions affected real people – his family, his supporters and the countless poor and unemployed across the nation whose cause he vowed to champion and represent.
And in the end, Edwards’ desire for success, apparently at just about any cost, may well cost him his freedom, his future and his very soul.
For it’s one thing to spend your last dime legally to gain success by putting yourself out in the open for the whole world and Tyler Perry to see when you believe in yourself, but it’s a whole ‘nother thing to spend your riches illegally to gain success by hiding the truth from the whole world and from those who believe in you.
I’ll close with a quote that comes, ironically, from the late and controversial college football coach, Joe Paterno. He said:
“Success without honor is an unseasoned dish… it will satisfy your hunger, but it won’t taste good.”
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
28 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 28
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 28
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 28
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 28
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 28
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 28
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 28
8. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
8 of 28
9. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
9 of 28
10. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
10 of 28
11 of 28
12. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
12 of 28
13. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
13 of 28
14. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
14 of 28
15. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
15 of 28
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 28
17. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
17 of 28
18. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
18 of 28
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 28
20 of 28
21. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
21 of 28
22. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
22 of 28
23. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
23 of 28
24. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
24 of 28
25. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
25 of 28
26. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
26 of 28
27. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
27 of 28
28. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
28 of 28